Friday, April 16, 2010

Hooked!, Homeland Insecurity, -and- Somebody's Watching You


Hooked! - drunken thief caught with fish hooks in backside
Homeland Insecurity - Ft. Hood shootings leads to tighter gun restrictions
Somebody's Watching You - school-issued laptops took thousands of secret images

On this day in history: April 16, 1943 - Chemist Albert Hofmann inadvertently experiences the world's first acid trip when a tiny quantity of lysergic acid diethylamide accidentally seeps through the skin of his finger. After leaving work early, he went home and settled into "a not unpleasant intoxicated condition." Then he had solid two hours of visual hallucinations: "I perceived an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors." It will be another three days before Hofmann gets up the courage to swallow 250 micrograms and ride his bicycle home.

Born on this day in history: April 16, 1889 - Charlie Chaplin (1889 - 1977) Film actor, producer, screenwriter, director, and composer, born in London, UK. The son of music-hall entertainers, his mother had a nervous breakdown and his father died when he was five, forcing Charlie to become a street urchin, along with his half-brother, Sydney, dancing for pennies in the street.

Scripture of the Day: Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. - Romans 13:8

Video of the Day: Hemi Challenger vs. Lamborghini - submitted by Darin





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while passing through Walmart on the way to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.





Technology News
Toshiba announces 200GB drive for cars
Toshiba tablets on the way
Gmail gets drag-and-drop attachments

Photography Contest

All visitors are invited to submit photographs (no limit!) to be considered for the Photography Contest! The contest will begin April 1 and will run through May 31st. As submissions are received, they will be added to the
Photography Contest Gallery.

Voting will be for favorite photographers. Details will follow.

To submit entries, please send them to me as email attachments. You may use the email link below to initiate an email message to me. Simply attach the images you wish to enter to your message.

Email Photographs

Please feel free to edit, crop, and enhance the entries as you wish. You may submit the entries in any resolution.

Photography Contest Gallery.

God Is Good!
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." - Malachi 3:10

Recently, God sent to me someone who purchased my domain (catechnologies.com). The escrow closed Tuesday, and the funds were posted to my bank account this morning. I shall pay our vehicle loans and other debts with these funds. Throughout the negotiation process, I asked for and received encouragement and guidance by the Holy Spirit.

I checked online banking this morning and saw that the funds had been deposited into my account. Filled with joy by this fully unexpected windfall, I perched in my chair at home, gathering material for today's blog entry with my HP laptop.

When I copied the Scripture of the Day from the Heartlight Web site, I was so moved by how it directly related to this very morning, I excitedly shouted the beginning of it to Laura, "Let no debt remain outstanding..."!

Laura's New Computer

I ordered a new computer for Laura. It should server her well. It should be here in 5 days.