Wednesday, November 16, 2005

David Ludwig and Kara Beth Borden


I was watching the latest update on the saga of David Ludwig and Kara Beth Borden on Fox News this morning. A client entered my office, looked at the television for a moment, turned to me, and said, "Home-schooling."

"I beg your pardon," I said. "Home-schooling," she repeated. "They were home-schooled, and that is an unhealthy way for kids to grow up." I knew this lady was a school teacher, so I assumed that she considered home-schooling a threat to her career. I ignored her remark. "How are you this morning," I said, "and how may I be of service to you?" "You're a Republican, aren't you?" she asked. "Of course," I said, smiling. "I knew it," she said. "Only Republicans watch Fox News. I watch CNN." "Ah," I said. "No doubt that is where you learned of the evils of home-schooling." I smiled, assuming this would end the discussion. It did not.

"Republicans are ruining this country," she continued. "Republicans are for big business, so they're pro-war, 'cause war is good for business. Republicans want lower taxes so they can shrink the federal government and make people more dependent on local government. Republicans want to allow religion into schools where it doesn't belong. They want to take away our freedom of speech and do away with National Public Radio and the National Endowment of the Arts by doing away with the tax money that makes these programs possible. They support home-schooling because it does away with jobs for teachers and makes it possible to lower taxes. The oil companies are getting rich because Republicans have us in a war where we don't belong."

She would most likely have continued for hours had I not taken control and said, "I am certain you recall war protesters during the Vietnam era burning their draft cards in protest." "Of course," she said, a confused look upon her face. "Well, you have the opportunity to protest similarly," I said. Still looking confused, she said, "How's that?" "Burn your voter registration card," I replied.