Monday, January 07, 2013

Telemarketers

Telemarketers - I loathe telemarketers, and I find their calls to be disruptive, invasive, and fully without merit.

I shared with a client last Friday how I generally answer telephone calls that appear to be from telemarketers. If the Caller ID for an incoming call shows any of a number of displays I have come to associate with telemarketers, I usually answer the call by saying:

"You have reached an active crime scene. Who are you, and how did you get this number?"

Generally, the call is quickly and quietly ended by the caller at this point.

Should a telemarketer be unusually tenacious and attempt to initiate his spiel, I continue,

"Your phone number is being traced. Do not disconnect! An agent will be on the line soon to conduct an interview. Do not disconnect!"

That generally does it.

My client was most impressed and will, I have no doubt, soon be using this technique to deal with telemarketers!