Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Now Hear This, Meow!, -and- Hic!


Now Hear This - Pete Townshend warns IPod users
Meow! - miracle feline avoids disaster
Hic! - Tennessee law shames drunk drivers

Just when I thought I had seen it all: I received a telephone call yesterday from a lady who said her computer has been running slow. The client dropped off her computer yesterday afternoon. I booted it up, amazed by how slow it was--particularly given the decals on the front showing that it is a 2.2GHz Pentium 4. I scanned for viruses and detected/removed 46 viruses and Trojans. Worse yet, when I scanned for spyware, Ad-Aware detected 1978 threats! I was amazed that this beast functioned at all!

After removing all the critters, I ran Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. The defragmentation process took nearly 4 hours! When the client arrived to pick up her computer, I explained what I had found and cautioned her regarding unprotected Internet use. She said she had never accessed the Internet! I told her someone had used the computer to access the Internet, citing the viruses and spyware as proof. She became very agitated, saying she was alone and no one else had access to the computer! I opened Outlook Express. There were 23 messages in the inbox. She said she did not recognize any of the senders' names! I gave her the SBC account name, told her to call SBC and explain the situation, and asked her to share her findings with me.

New Bubble Breaker high score: 1316