Thursday, June 11, 2009

Roots, The Real Thing, -and- Faith Under Fire


Roots - California jailers confiscate Phil Spector's wig
The Real Thing - Venezuela bans Coke Zero, cites "health dangers"
Faith Under Fire - pair jailed eight weeks for passing out anti-Catholic, anti-Muslim tracts

On this day in history: June 11, 1962 - Frank Morris and the brothers John and Clarence Anglin escape from Alcatraz.

Born on this day in history: June 11, 1910 - Jacques Cousteau (1910 - 1997) Born in Saint-Ande, France, underwater explorer Jacques Cousteau pioneered underwater TV. In 1950, he commanded the French naval research ship Calypso. Cousteau's films include the Oscar-winning "The Golden Fish" (1960).

Scripture of the Day: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Video of the Day: How to Prevent Swimmer's Ear - submitted by Cindy





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.




Where is summer?

What became of summer? It is 61° and forecast to be a high of 77° today. It is nearly the middle of June! It should be hot! Thundershowers are forecast for today. Great Scott!

Although it was overcast, dreary, and a bit cool last evening, I did manage to do a bit of grilling: I put a spicy dry rub on some Foster Farms boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I charred the chicken and a package of Johnsonville brats over a high flame. I turned the chicken and brats and continued to grill them for a few minutes. I then moved everything to the front of the grill, turned the front burner off, left the rear burner on high, and continued to cook for another 20 minutes. I made spicy Spanish rice in the microwave. It was a delicious meal.

A Johnsonville brat followed Laura to Chico this morning to become the centerpiece of her lunch.

Tonight, I shall shred the leftover chicken breasts and produce a quantity of cold Oriental noodle salad. I shall combine ramen noodles, the chicken, peas, kernel corn, red bell pepper, Jalapeño pepper, celery, yellow squash, green onions, white mushrooms (sliced and poached), extra-virgin olive oil, rice wine vinegar, the seasoning packets from the ramen noodles, ground ginger, garlic powder, and crushed red peppers in a large stainless-steel bowl. This is a favorite of ours.

Friday evening, I shall halve the two leftover Johnsonville brats and sauté them. When they are hot, I shall turn off the heat and place pepperjack cheese atop them. I shall toast Francisco sourdough buns. At the table, we will add sliced tomato, red onion, Klausen pickle slices, and condiments. I shall make a batch of oven fries to accompany these delicious sandwiches.