Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Naked Truth, Armed and Dangerous, -and- Use No Slugs


The Naked Truth - nude driver arrested for DUI
Armed and Dangerous - off-duty cop brawls with petite cosmetologist at nightclub
Use No Slugs - German vending machine dispenses gold

On this day in history: June 18, 1996 Ted Kaczynski is indicted on ten criminal counts. He is suspected of being the Unabomber, who perpetrated 16 bomb attacks on people involved in technology.

Born on this day in history: June 18, 1942 - Paul McCartney (1942– ) Born in Liverpool, England, musician, songwriter and composer Paul McCartney found fame as one of the Fab Four Beatles. After the group's 1970 breakup, he performed solo and with his own bands. In 1978, he was declared the most successful composer of all time, playing his 3000th concert in St Petersburg in 2004. McCartney was knighted in 1997.

Scripture of the Day: Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. - Ephesians 6:4

Video of the Day: Weird Al takes on Craigslist with the Doors




The new iPhone OS 3.0 is awesome! Click to enlarge.



The iPhone OS 3.0 Update


The download went surprisingly quickly, considering my lowly 1.5-2.0/Mb/sec connection.

The first time iTunes tried to install the software, it failed.

I disconnected and re-connected my iPhone, and the update went smoothly.

When it came to the point that iTunes contacted the activation server, the process crashed again. The message appeared that the SIM was not inserted properly. What?

I was considering removing and re-inserting the SIM, when the message appeared on the iPhone that the SIM was locked. I entered the unlock code, and the activation was successful.

iTunes then said the iPhone was ready to use.

I disconnected the iPhone, and the icons were scattered randomly across six screens--few of them in their previous positions. Some screens had only two or three icons. Some screens were full. Some of my favorites that I had on the first screen prior to the update were now several screens away.

I rearranged the icons. The applications I have tried all seem to work fine under the new OS. The first that I tried, of course, was Zombieville USA. It worked fine. That was my main concern, understandably.

All seems well now, but I sincerely hope that the issues that plagued me do not happen to uninitiated people who turn in fright from the process!

Laura's iPhone, on the other hand, completed the update process without issue.