Monday, June 01, 2009

Fighting Back, Friends, -and- Global Cooling


Fighting Back - senior bowlers strike down purse thief
Friends - Phil Spector plays air chess in jail with cockroach
Global Cooling - freeze watch in June for New York

On this day in history: June 1, 1660 - After having received a last-minute reprieve seven months earlier, Mary Dyer is hanged for heresy after returning to Boston. Dyer was a member of the Quakers, a subversive religious sect which had been banned by the Puritan colony under "pain of death."

Born on this day in history: June 1, 1926 - Marilyn Monroe (1926 - 1962) Once known as Norma Jean Baker in Los Angeles, movie star and sex symbol Marilyn Monroe adopted her stage name in 1946 after signing with Twentieth Century Fox. She’s best remembered for roles in "Bus Stop" (1956) and "Some Like It Hot" (1959). Monroe died of a barbiturate overdose.

Scripture of the Day: What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? — Romans 6:1

Video of the Day: Awesome Alligator Gar - submitted by Darin





Imagine my surprise when I arrived at my office this morning and saw that an arcade had opened in the adjacent building! Click to enlarge.






It is June already!

It seems that this year is passing very quickly. If it were not for the fact that I hear this espoused often by others, I would think it simply my imagination. Because it is a common conversational topic, however, I can only assume that this year is, in fact, passing very quickly! I have no scientific data to support this position, however, and I rely fully upon empirical proof that this is taking place.

I was feted!

I was feted at Harvest Christian Center yesterday morning. I was named Ministry Member of the Month for my creation and maintenance of the church Web site and for my performance as official photographer of church events. I was truly humbled by the presentation and by the thunderous applause that was given me. I present my services joyously, and my sole objective is the glorification of God. Nonetheless, it is truly wonderful and greatly encouraging to be recognized in this fashion!