Friday, March 13, 2009

Gone Fishin', ASAP, -and- Grand Theft Auto


Gone Fishin' - man snags marlin from surfboard, jumps fish via helicopter
ASAP - scientists develop cell phone battery that charges in 10 seconds
Grand Theft Auto - 3 executives, 81 cars missing from Nebraska dealership

On this day in history: March 13, 1923 - Twenty-two persons killed in a poison rice episode, China. Five cooks are blamed.

Born on this day in history: March 13, 1950 - William H. Macy (1950- ) Born in Miami, FL, actor William Macy appeared in numerous stage and TV productions before becoming famous in TV series "ER." His films include "Fargo" (1996) and "Seabiscuit" (2003). Macy still works on stage.

Scripture of the Day: And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you. - Romans 8:11

Video of the Day: Chainsaw Illusion - submitted by Chris





This is how twins are made! Click to enlarge.






Spring will soon arrive! Spring will begin next Friday. I am eager for this. Spring is without doubt the season that presents the greatest natural beauty: The blossoming of trees, flowers, and plants, the luxuriant growth of grasses and wildflowers, and the awakening of creatures all herald the beginning of spring and the welcome warm weather, blue skies, and singing birds.

Yesterday, the temperature reached a very pleasant 73°! It was wonderfully restorative, and I luxuriated in the sunlight and warmth. I encountered the stirring of God's small creatures—moths, butterflies, honeybees, and a lone wasp—during a brief expedition through a back yard near my office. These creatures are just beginning to appear. Soon, they will be abundant. This is a wonderful season.

My friend and visitor/contributor here, Chris, wrote in his blog (Click his name to visit his blog.) of the Pink Floyd album, "Dark Side of the Moon." That prompted me to recall an event in my life that centered about this album.

I managed a music store and had received the album earlier that day. I had just begun playing side 1 when I got a call from my drummer. He wished to have our usual rehearsal two hours early in order to amend a conflict in his schedule. I left "Dark Side of the Moon" playing while I gathered my music and guitar and exited my house. A girlfriend came to visit me while I was gone. Since she had a key to my house, she let herself in. It was a very dark, stormy night. It was raining very hard, and the thunder was extremely loud. My girlfriend settled into the sofa with a glass of wine. The combination of the sounds of the rain and thunder and the wine created an atmosphere wherein the music caused her to become very frightened. Each time the record came to the end of the music tracks, the turntable arm rose then descended upon the beginning of the album, and the music began anew. By the time I returned two hours later, she was in a catatonic state. It was not until the following day that she fully recovered. At that time, she mentioned that she had nibbled some hallucinogenic mushrooms prior to coming to my house. That relieved, to a great extent, my fear that Pink Floyd would cause people everywhere to go mad.