Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fighting Back, We See You!, -and- The Burning Bed


Fighting Back - would-be rapist stopped by snarling dog and victim's bouncer son
We See You! - Google Earth uncovers British nuclear sub base, missile facility
The Burning Bed - tanning bed burst into flames, man escapes

On this day in history: March 10, 1974 - Second Lt. Hiroo Onoda of the Imperial Japanese Army surrenders to Philippine authorities. He believed World War II was still underway and continued a 30 year guerrilla battle with other islanders. His final capitulation came when his senior officer, Maj. Taniguchi, ordered his surrender. Upon return to the Japanese homeland, Onoda was treated as a hero, but had difficulty coping with his "postwar" life.

Born on this day in history: March 10, 1958 - Sharon Stone (1958-) Born in Meadville, PA, actress and producer Sharon Stone began as a model in the late 1970s. Her first notable film part came in "Total Recall" (1990), opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger. Stardom arrived when she landed the role of bisexual murder suspect in blockbuster "Basic Instinct," with Michael Douglas.

Scripture of the Day: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23

Video of the Day: Irena Sendler vs. Al Gore - submitted by Chris





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while passing the lake on the way to my office this morning!





I often get phishing emails purporting to be from eBay. No doubt, everyone gets these—along with emails professing to be from banks, credit card companies, and people needing assistance accessing millions of dollars held in foreign reserves.

This morning, however, I received a telephone call from someone complaining about my inattention to the delivery of a purchase made by the caller from an eBay auction. The caller began the conversation very rudely. Nonetheless, I maintained civility and told him politely that I currently had no eBay auctions extant and suggested that he had made an error in calling this issue to my attention.

CALLER: I know this is California Technologies, cause that's how you answered the telephone.
ME: Now that we have established my identity, shall we address yours?
CALLER: This is xxxxxxxxxxxx [I shall not expose his name here. As always, I am operate with great kindness toward others.] and I had the high bid on the brass ship's bell.
ME: I have never owned such an item. Additionally, I have no current eBay auction, as I said. Certainly, you have contacted me in error.
CALLER: I got your company phone number from your name in your auction.
ME: Give me the auction number, and I shall research this for you.
CALLER: xxxxxxxxxx [auction number withheld]
ME: Please hold.

At this point, I checked the auction, saw that it had closed, and noted that the seller's name was listed as "David Harter."

ME: I am not the person who held that auction. You should direct your complaint to eBay. All auctions I have held on eBay have been listed under my company name and have been completed with full satisfaction to the buyers.
CALLER: I talked to eBay, and they said I should contact you first and try to settle this.
ME: I am certain that eBay did not suggest that you contact me. No doubt, they told you to contact the seller. I am not the seller for that auction. I noticed a link to email the seller. I suggest you do that.
CALLER: I sent three emails and never got a response.
ME: I suggest, then, that you follow my advise and file a complaint with eBay. Have a wonderful day, and I hope this issue quickly and satisfactorily resolved.

[Plonk]

I have heard nothing further.