Thursday, March 05, 2009

Fighting Back, Freedom of Speech, -and- All Shook Up


Fighting Back - NYC deputy mayor foils mugger in downtown Manhattan
Freedom of Speech - professor calls cops when student mentions guns in speech
All Shook Up - Southern California feels mysterious shaking

On this day in history: March 5, 1982 - John Belushi found dead at the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood from a cocaine and heroin overdose. A sketchy woman, Cathy Smith, is later charged with administering the fatal injections.

Born on this day in history: March 5, 1958 - Andy Gibb (1958-1988) Born in Manchester, England, youngest of the Gibb Brothers, singer Andy Gibb belongs to the world-famous Bee Gees group. The group personifies 1970s disco music, and has sold more than 100 million records.

Scripture of the Day: Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. - Romans 8:1-2

Video of the Day: Kitten Loves Faucet Water





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this water-dancing kitty as I passed the lake on the way to my office this morning! Water-dancing kitties are very rare, so I was fortunate indeed to espy this one! Click to enlarge.






The Weather: I was communicating with my long-distance friend and regular visitor of this blog, Chris, from Michigan, and told him our weather was cold and wet. Last night, it was. I had not peered outside yet this morning when I made that statement to him. Imagine my very pleasant surprise when I did look outside and saw that it was dry and sunny! The forecasts (if they may be believed, of course) indicate sunshine and temperatures in the 60s through the weekend. There shall be flesh tossed upon the grill this weekend, I am certain.

I thought I was at Burger King! This morning, when I answered a call—the Caller ID for which read, "PRIVATE NAME," I thought momentarily that I was at the drive-through window at Burger King. [See yesterday's video.] The caller's "English" was nearly completely indecipherable, and it was only as a result of carefully listening to a phrase that the caller repeated when I said, "What, in the name of all that is good and free from evil, did you say?" was I able to determine that this creature was saying that the call was being made by him in response to a call that I had made! This, apparently, is a new ploy being used by telemarketers. It was my first encounter with this ruse, but I am certain it shall not be my last such encounter. I quickly ended spiel of this entity by saying, "Due to the volume of calls, please expect a five to six hour delay. Your call is important to us. All calls will be taken in the order in which they are received." At this point, I replaced the receiver. Ten minutes later, the telephone rang. The Caller ID once again said, "PRIVATE NAME," so I assumed it was Mr. Unintelligible calling again and let the call go to voice mail. The telemarketer left a 30-second message composed of words which are, for the most part, unrecognizable. Should he call again, I am prepared to answer, "You have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service."