Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fighting Back, Animal Kingdom, -and- The Kids Are Alright


Fighting Back - armed customer kills robber at Burger King
Animal Kingdom - two komodo dragons maul fruit-picker to death
The Kids Are Alright - girl's lemonade stand earns $24,000 for cancer

On this day in history: March 25, 1967 - As part of Operation Green Mist, the U.S. Army detonates explosive warheads containing the deadly sarin nerve agent at Upper Waiakea Forest Reserve on the big island of Hawaii. The open-air tests are kept secret for more than thirty years.

Born on this day in history: March 25, 1934 - Gloria Steinem (1934 - ) Born in Toledo, OH, feminist and writer Gloria Steinem began as a journalist, attracting attention with an article, "I Was a Playboy Bunny," based on undercover work. In 1971, she joined other feminists in forming the National Women's Political Caucus, and took the lead in launching "Ms magazine" (1972). Steinem has been working for social reform ever since.

Scripture of the Day: Better the little that the righteous have than the wealth of many wicked; for the power of the wicked will be broken, but the LORD upholds the righteous. - Psalm 37:16-17

Video of the Day: Guitarist - the iPhone Guitar





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






The Best Stir-fry Dinner Ever! I made stir fry last evening. In the wok, I stir-fried sliced white mushrooms, sliced white onion, slivered Jalapeños, grated ginger, minced garlic, bias-cut carrots, and bias-cut celery. I seasoned with adobo seasoning, red pepper flakes, ground black pepper, and the seasoning packets from two packages of ramen noodles. When the vegetables were cooked, I incorporated two packages of ramen noodles that I had cooked and drained while the vegetables cooked. I then added the ingredient that made this the best stir-fry dinner ever: I tossed a quantity of thinly sliced, grilled New York strip steak that remained from our Sunday dinner. I turned off the heat so that the steak would warm but not continue cooking and took the wok to the table. It was delightful. A quantity of leftover stir fry followed me to the office this morning.