Thursday, May 25, 2006

Like a Pagan, For the Birds, -and- The Right to Remain Silent


Like a Pagan - Madonna defends mock crucifixion
For the Birds - Joan Baez living in tree in Los Angeles
The Right to Remain Silent - ACLU tries to stop free speech of its own members

On This Day in History - May 25 1925

John T. Scopes is indicted by a grand jury for violating Tennessee's anti-evolution statute, which he claimed to have broken by teaching Darwin's theory of natural selection in a Dayton high school. Later, on July 10th, the "Scopes Monkey Trial" begins.

A client asked me this morning, with frightening enthusiasm, "Did you see 'American Idol' last night?" She apparently assumed that I had and added, "Wasn't that great?" "I was otherwise occupied, watching my cat groom himself," I said. A look of complete astonishment came over her face, and she asked, "How could you NOT watch it? It was the FINALE!" I replied, "I have never watched that show. There are certain things that are so patently foul that a sane person knows instinctively to eschew them. Karaoke is one of these things!"

And so the day began.

No, kid! Eat the LEGS!