Thursday, April 13, 2006

Dress Code, Mama!, -and- That's Not My Space


Dress Code - ATF agents bust university student in ninja garb
Mama! - couple charged in sextuplet hoax
That's Not My Space - students create fake site in teacher's name

What a difference a day makes! The sun is shining, the sky is blue, it is warm, and the birds are singing! What a beautiful day this is! More rain is predicted, but today's sunshine and warmth are welcomed with great joy!

Just when I thought it could get no weirder: I was comfortable with the notion (now, unfortunately, a misconception) that I had successfully rid myself of the delusional woman and would see no more of her. This morning, she darkened my doorway again! This time, however, she had a male companion in tow. Neither of them appeared to have slept recently, and--while the woman appeared clean and neatly dressed--the male companion appeared as someone who had not bathed or changed his attire in several days.

"I'm back!" she said, with unwarranted enthusiasm. "Might I suggest that you refrain from overstating the obvious?" I replied. "Whatever" was her witty response. "My wife said you won't fix our computer," the male companion said. "In a manner of speaking, I suppose one might take that position," I replied. "Whatever," he said. "Actually," I continued, "it was my suggestion that she return to the shop that performed the previous repairs." "She told you they messed it up!" he said, in an annoyingly loud voice. "Now you're gonna fix it!"

I pondered this situation briefly, deciding, finally, that these creatures were draining me unduly of valuable patience that could be used to greater advantage elsewhere, plucked Philomena from my pocket, added a few items to the shopping list, and said, "Ah, I see that I have an opening at 9 AM on the morning of Monday, December 11. I would be pleased to schedule an appointment for you at that time." "You've gotta be kidding!" the male companion roared. Suddenly, the telephone rang, and I snatched the receiver from its cradle. "Good morning, California Technologies," I said. It was a recorded political message. I listened to it, mumbling, "Yes. That would be fine. All right. I shall see you then. Thank you for calling."

I turned to the intruders and said, "I find that I must apologize. That time slot is now taken." "This is [expletive]!" screeched the male companion, pushing his wife toward the door. I watched them fade from my Web cam view.

Here is another image from Linda Ronstadt's concert at Hughes Stadium, Sacramento, CA, in 1974. Click to enlarge.



Linda Ronstadt in concert at Hughes Stadium, Sacramento, CA, in 1974.  (c) 1974 - David Louis Harter