Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Study: California Drivers Can't Seem to Put Their Cellphones Down

Study: California Drivers Can't Seem to Put Their Cellphones Down - It is truly amazing and frightening to read the results of a recent study indicate 9.2 percent of drivers were using phones to talk, text, or otherwise take away their attention during observations earlier this year.

Certainly more discouraging, the study shows this was up from 6.6 percent of drivers in 2014!

The study was done for the state's Office of Traffic Safety and transportation experts at the University of California, Berkeley.

At nearly 13 percent of drivers, Sonoma County had the highest rate.

I first read this story at home this morning and found it astonishing that cellphone usage has risen following the passage of laws meant to regulate such usage.

As I drove to my office, I paid particular attention to the other drivers. During the brief drive to my office (four blocks), I saw four people with their cellphones held to their ears! Particularly when one considers the relatively small cost and ease of implementation of hands-free communication, I believe there is absolutely no excuse for such distracted driving!