Friday, September 18, 2009

See You in Court, Hair Today Gone Tomorrow, -and- Walk Don't Run


See You in Court - parents sue Walmart after kids' bath photos fiasco
Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow - Riverview man shaves daughter's head as punishment for shoplifting from Walmart
Walk, Don't Run - insane killer escapes during mental institution's field trip

On this day in history: September 18, 1946 - Harry S. Truman signs the National Security Act of 1947 thus establishing the CIA.

Born on this day in history: September 18, 1971 - Lance Armstrong (1971-) Born in Plano, Texas, cyclist Lance Armstrong began competitive cycling and triathlons at 13, setting early records. By 1998, Armstrong was winning the grueling Tour de France and went on to win it an unprecedented seven times.

Scripture of the Day: For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. — Matthew 18:20

Video of the Day: Street Dodge Viper twin-turbo 1700hp drag race





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while browsing at Walmart this morning on the way to my office! Click to enlarge.





Windows 7 As a Microsoft Partner, I enjoy the availability of Microsoft software well ahead of its public release. I have had the various versions of Windows 7 for several weeks, pondering the migration of some of my systems to this OS. Last evening, I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on Phoebe (my HP dv9500 notebook).

The results indicated that there would be no compatibility issues. I installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit as a clean install. (My experience has shown that clean installs of OSes are far superior to OS upgrades.) I am not given to intense emotional displays. After a few minutes of experiencing Windows 7, however, I found it completely impossible to restrain myself from falling to the floor on all fours, tossing my head back, and baying loudly at the 17" HP widescreen display!

After several hours of using Windows 7, I am eager to report that it is incredibly fast, visually stunning, and dramatically advanced technologically—compared with Windows Vista!

Windows 7 will be released late next month. I highly recommend moving to this new OS! By all means, download and run the compatibility advisor to determine whether any potential compatibility issues need addressing.

Technology News
Microsoft Web-based Office apps previewed
Facebook break leads to burglary suspect
Urban Hopper robot can leap over 25-foot walls

iPhone News
iPhone app promises discounts on prescription meds
transform your iPhone into a game controller