Monday, September 21, 2009

I Thought You Looked Familiar!, No Cameras Allowed!, -and- Unclassified


I Thought You Looked Familiar! - coworkers discover they're brothers
No Cameras Allowed! - Russian billionaire installs anti-photo shield on giant yacht
Unclassified - 20 most bizarre Craigslist advertisements of all time

On this day in history: September 21, 1915 With a winning bid of £6,600, Mr. Cecil Chubb purchases Stonehenge and 30 acres of land at auction. He donates the monument to the British state three years later.

Born on this day in history: September 21, 1967 - Faith Hill (1967-) Born in Jackson, Mississippi, country music singer-songwriter Faith Hill was one of the biggest female country stars of the 1990s. Her popular sound, beauty, and much-publicized marriage to fellow crooner Tim McGraw amplified her star power and produced enormous crossover success.

Scripture of the Day: "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." — John 14:21

Video of the Day: Dodge Charger Police Car Burnout - submitted by Amber





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene at Walmart while journeying to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.





Hal Moving to Windows 7: I have been using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on my HP dv9500 notebook for several days, and I am thoroughly impressed with the speed and functionality. It is incredibly speedier than the 64-bit Vista that the notebook previously used. Windows 7 is substantially more robust and offers a variety of enhancements and improvements.

I shall be moving Hal to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit today. During this process, the Web cam will be offline, and access to me via email will be addressed by my iPhone.

No-email Weekend: I have Outlook 2007 configured to remove email from my mail server when messages are downloaded to Hal (my main office system—an HP workstation). When I download messages from my mail server to my HP notebook, my iPhone, or any other system, the messages remain on the mail server.

Apparently, when I stopped at my office briefly Saturday morning, I opened Outlook 2007 on Hal and neglected to close it when I left the office. I determined this to be the case when I arrived here this morning. At home and elsewhere, it was a no-email weekend for me! Hundreds of emails greeted me when I arrived here this morning. This is commonplace. Unlike other Mondays, however, the email messages that awaited me this morning were all unread. Yikes! I have not gone through these messages yet. If you emailed me over the weekend and have not yet received a response, this will explain why this happened. I apologize.

Jury Duty: Yikes! and yikes! again! Unless the defendant in an upcoming court proceeding reaches an agreement with the court, I shall be reporting for jury duty in the morning! Yikes! If you see no blog here tomorrow morning, this will be the reason. I must call after 5 PM this afternoon to determine whether I must report or not. Wish me well!

Technology News
Microsoft sues 5 companies over malware ads
Microsoft to release free security software soon
LogMeIn can control some PCs, even when off

iPhone News
WSJ to begin charging for mobile content, including iPhone?