Monday, August 24, 2009

Wake Up!, Surf's Down, -and- The Right to Carry


Wake Up! - sleepwalker survives 55-foot plunge
Surf's Down - Hacker attacks, disables Michael Savage's Web site
The Right to Carry - travel writer eschews Arizona over open carry

On this day in history: August 24, 1981 - Mark David Chapman sentenced to 20 years for killing Beatle John Lennon.

Born on this day in history: August 24, 1955 - Mike Huckabee - Born: August 24, 1955 (Hope, AR) Lieutenant governor of Arkansas from 1993 to 1996. Governor of Arkansas from 1996 to 2007.

Scripture of the Day: "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." — John 8:31-32

Video of the Day: The Dangers of Texting While Driving - This is very graphic!


Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.




The Weekend The weekend was busy: Friday, we attended the Corning Olive Festival Parade. I took 350 photographs of the parade.

Saturday morning, we attended the Corning Olive Festival activities at Woodson Park. I took nearly 700 photographs there. Select photographs will be available for viewing online soon. I shall alert readers when they are available. Saturday evening, I made ginger shrimp and pasta. I cooked a package of Barilla Thick Spaghetti until al dente and set aside. I sautéed minced garlic, freshly grated ginger, sea salt, and red pepper flakes, in extra-virgin olive oil. I tossed in 38 medium cooked shrimp and stirred until the shrimp were heated. I added the pasta, stirred, turned off the burner, and let this sit for five minutes. Laura transferred the shrimp and pasta to a large pasta bowl and stirred. At the table, we added more red pepper flakes. Laura added shredded Parmesan cheese, and I added bleu cheese. It was a delightful meal. A quantity remains for a later meal.

Sunday, I marinated an enormous London Broil with extra-virgin olive oil, Merlot, Monterey steak seasoning, ground black pepper, Pappy's Seasoning, sea salt, granulated garlic, and red pepper flakes. I shucked and cleaned four ears of white corn and poached for five minutes in the microwave. I brushed the corn with extra-virgin olive oil, Pappy's Seasoning, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, and sea salt and set aside. Five hours later, I took the meat from the refrigerator. I started the grill. 15 minutes later, I took the meat and corn outside and determined that the propane tank was empty, and the extra propane tank was also empty! I sautéed the London Broil—searing it nicely on both sides. I added some Merlot to the sauté pan and tossed in some white mushrooms. I let this cook, uncovered, for five minutes. I poached the corn for five minutes in the microwave. This was a wonderful meal. The meat was nicely seared on the exterior and rare in the center. There is a great quantity remaining for another meal.

I must remember to replace the propane tanks!

Technology News
Walmart recalls fiery DVD players
Teen becomes first born in U.K. for cyberbullying
Ten ways to break your laptop

iPhone News
Where To destination finder released for iPhone
Nav with turn-by-turn, text-to-speech for only $1.99 for iPhone