Friday, August 21, 2009

Fighting Back, What's Cooking?, -and- Rats!


Fighting Back - 72-year-old pizza parlor worker foils shotgun-toting robbers
What's Cooking? - altered Sears Web site offers grill to "cook babies"
Rats! - rodent-eating plant discovered in Philippines

On this day in history: August 21, 1996 - Superfreak Rick James (prisoner J29237) is released from Folsom Prison after serving a two year sentence for drugs and assault. He had planned to marry his fiancée, Tanja Anne Hijazi, upon release but she had been nicked for shoplifting a pair of boots two days earlier.

Born on this day in history: August 21, 1956 - Kim Cattrall (1956-) Born Clare Woodgate in Liverpool, England, and raised on Vancouver Island, Canada, actress Kim Cattrall was first noticed by director Otto Preminger in 1975. In 1998, Cattrall became an international celebrity playing Samantha Jones in HBO’s award-winning comedy series "Sex and the City."

Scripture of the Day: My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. — Proverbs 3:21-22

Video of the Day: Rat Attack! - submitted by Cap'n Jack





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this vehicle while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






Yesterday
In preparation for this weekend's Olive Festival, I was charging my camera battery. I had the battery in the charger on the workbench, and I was seated in my chair, with the camera in my hands. I was cleaning smudges from the viewfinder and other glass areas and dusting the body. A client entered and asked me a question concerning a virus her computer is reporting that has infected her system. She said, "I'm surprised that a guy like you that's in the tech world and all still uses an old time camera like that. You should get one of those new digital cameras. They're little and take better pictures than those big old clunkers like you've got there. I've got a Sony that's just great and it only cost $200." I smiled and said, "I have
been using digital cameras exclusively since 1998. I have owned several models of digital cameras. This particular camera is a Nikon D3. It is currently the finest digital camera produced by Nikon." She crinkled her nose and squinted her eyes. "Really?" she said. "Are you sure?" I said, "I will let you consider that question. Surely in time, you will come to realize why I choose not to answer it." She stared intently at the photographs on the wall. After several minutes of silence, she said, "Well, your pictures are sure beautiful, so I guess that must be quite a camera." I said, "Actually, those photographs were taken about ten years ago, using a camera that is comparable to my current camera equally as a 1971 Ford Pinto is comparable to a 2009 Lamborghini Gallardo." "Well, the pictures are sure
pretty," she said. And that was that.

Technology News
China jails four for Microsoft XP piracy
Phishing apps found on Facebook
Wordpress gets its own URL shortener

iPhone News
Wikipedia app hits iPhone