Thursday, July 23, 2009

Heil!, Bite Me!, -and- Stop Thief!


Heil! - German garden gnomes salute Hitler
Bite Me! - Oscar Mayer Wienermobile crashes into house
Stop Thief! - T. Boone Pickens faces criminal charges

On this day in history: July 23, 1996 Harry Morgan, Col. Potter on TV's M*A*S*H, is arraigned on charges of spousal abuse. LAPD officers responding to a 911 call at the couple's Brentwood, California home had discovered his wife Barbara bruised and bleeding from her face.

Born on this day in history: July 23, 1888 - Raymond Chandler (1888 - 1959)
Born in Chicago, Illinois, writer Raymond Chandler was educated in Europe, and served in the Canadian army in World War 1. Back in the U.S., he created distinctive crime fiction, including "The Big Sleep" (1939) and "Farewell, My Lovely" (1940). In later years, Chandler alternated living in California and London.

Scripture of the Day: "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world." — John 17:24

Video of the Day: 10-year-old Japanese Girl Performs "Carry On My Wayward Son" - submitted by Chris






Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






Lower Temperatures
Temperatures have been significantly lower this week. Yesterday barely crept to a high of 100° in the afternoon and remained there for only a few minutes before beginning to drop. Early morning enjoyed a low of 66°. Today and this weekend are forecast to see highs of 99°. Next week, however, temperatures are forecast to be 107° to 110°. Given the recent lower-than-actual-readings forecasts, expect to see days of 110° to 115°! Dress lightly and drink lots of liquids!

Technology News
Windows 7 released to manufacturing
Adobe acknowledges Reader hole, will fix
OnStar announces remote kill switch for cars

iPhone News
Jailbroken or unlocked iPhone Push errors cause AIM to misfire
Sketches 1.7 for iPhone released
RunKeeper Pro for iPhone tracks activities using GPS