Thursday, February 28, 2008

Weapons of Choice, Lost, -and- Brave New Schools


Weapons of Choice - turnpike toll-collectors' guns taken
Lost - man's stolen wallet found and returned after 46 years
Brave New Schools - student suspended for 10 days for taking vitamins

On this day in history: February 28, 1574 - Two impenitent heretics are burned at the stake in Mexico at a spectacular auto-da-fe comparable to those in Spain. The two are the first victims of the Inquisition in the New World, dying for their heretical crimes of Lutheranism.

Born on this day in history: February 28, 1940 - Mario (Gabriele) Andretti (1940– ) Born in Montona, Italy (now part of Slovenia), racecar driver Mario Andretti began in midget car racing, and soon emerged as one of motor racing's most versatile drivers. In a Formula One career (1968-82), he competed in 128 Grand Prix, winning 16. Andretti is the only person who’s won the Daytona 500 (1967), the Indianapolis 500 (1969, 1981) and the Grand Prix (1978).

Scripture of the Day: Where then are the gods you made for yourselves? Let them come if they can save you when you are in trouble! For you have as many gods as you have towns, O Judah. - Jeremiah 2:28

Video of the Day: Clockworks by Edward Barrett - submitted by Amber





"Sheesh, Rush is soo right - She does sound like Nurse Ratchett!" Click to enlarge.






A gentleman entered my office yesterday morning and inquired about Internet access. I gave him pricing for wireless and dial-up services, and he said dial-up would satisfy his needs and better fit into his budget. I reached into my desk and retrieved a SnowCrest CD. The man said, "I can't use CDs. My computer's too old to use CDs." I was disconcerted and asked, "What version of Windows is your computer using?" "It doesn't have Windows on it," he said. "A friend tried to install Windows a long time ago, and he said it wouldn't work." I thirsted for knowledge of the nature of his computer. I asked, "If your computer does not use Windows, what operating system does it use?" "I don't know what you mean," he said. "It is likely that your computer is not capable of accessing the Internet," I said. "Allow me to view this machine, and I shall evaluate it at no charge and advise you." He said he would bring it in next Monday morning. I am eager to see this creature and determine its nature. I shall sleep fitfully until this examination takes place!