Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fighting Back, To Have and to Hold, -and- The Snake Pit


Fighting Back - woman dodges bullet, chases robber
To Have and to Hold - woman renews vows to blow-up doll
The Snake Pit - man allowed to keep 50 cobras, vipers, and rattlers in home

On this day in history: February 19, 1998 - Lt. Col. Larry Wayne Harris (Aryan Nations) and William Leavitt are arrested in Henderson, NV for possession of the biological toxin anthrax, military grade, enough to kill an entire city. Their Mercedes is hermetically sealed by authorities and brought to Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada for hazmat.

Born on this day in history: February 19, 1940 - Smokey Robinson (1940– ) Born in Detroit, MI, singer-songwriter Smokey Robinson formed the Miracles vocal group, which signed with Motown Records (1958). Robinson composed and produced many hits, like "My Girl" (1965), and helped perfect the "Motown sound."

Scripture of the Day: I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the LORD. - Hosea 2:19-20

Video of the Day: Frozen Grand Central - submitted by Frank





If you look at the images from your seat in front of the computer, Mr. Angry is on the left, and Mr. Calm is on the right. Get up from your seat, and move back around 8 feet, and they switch places! Click to enlarge.






I installed a new 80GB Hitachi hard drive in my prior notebook (a P4 AMAX 15.4" unit) today. It was a Valentine's Day present for Laura. I replaced this notebook with a 17" widescreen HP a month or so ago, when the 40GB IBM hard drive died in the AMAX notebook.

I installed Microsoft Windows Vista Business and Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise, and several other applications. Laura was very pleased with this. Tomorrow, we shall have our Valentine's Day dinner--large rib eye steaks and giant prawns, marinated in extra-virgin olive oil, Tony Chachere's More Spice seasoning, minced garlic, and grated ginger, paired with a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.

She was enjoying her notebook. I heard her groan and asked what was troubling her. She said, "Nothing." I replied, "Surely something has troubled you. What is it?" "Well," she said, "I recall hearing you say how enjoyable you found the Mah-Jongg game on your new notebook to be, and I looked for it on this notebook, and it is not there." I explained that her notebook--like her desktop--had Microsoft Windows Business, since I have a 10-installation license for that version. Microsoft apparently assumes that the Business edition should not include games. My notebook has Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, and several games are available. She frowned. It is not good when she frowns. She said, "Can't you install Mah-Jongg on my new notebook?" I replied, "I shall investigate."

After a bit of prowling, I determined that the games included in Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate lurk in Microsoft Windows Vista Business! The games are, very simply, not enabled.

Here is the methodology for enabling the games:

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Programs
4. Click Programs and Features
5. Select Windows features on or off from the left column
6. Accept the UAC
7. Check the Games checkbox
8. Click OK

Laura is smiling. This is good.