Monday, October 08, 2007

No Fooling!, Law of the Land, -and- Cop Gone Wild


No Fooling! - woman sues Kmart over toilet paper tax
Law of the Land - court orders judge back to law school for refresher
Cop Gone Wild - off-duty deputy sheriff kills six

On this day in history: October 8, 1871 - Catherine O'Leary's cow starts the Chicago Fire, killing 250 and destroying 17,000 buildings.

Born on this day in history: October 8, 1920 - Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986) science fiction writer He is best known for "Dune" and its sequels; won Nebula, 1965 and Hugo, 1966.

Scripture of the Day: "I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed. I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "that I am God." (Isaiah 43:11-12)

Video of the Day: Lev and Thumpbot play Crazy - submitted by Darin





Telemarketers! Yikes! It is a foul way to begin the day indeed with an obnoxious call from a persistent telemarketer at 7:30! This telemarketer would not accept my polite, "Thank you, but I am not interested" reply and continued to read from her script. I then said, "I do not accept calls from telemarketers who block Caller ID," but the prattle continued. At that point, I had no alternative: I replaced the receiver.

Within a few seconds, the telephone rang again. Caller ID displayed "UNKNOWN NAME," as it had previously. I said, "Yes?" The woman said, "Oh, yes, I guess we were cut off." "We were not cut off," I said. "You were cut off, and listen: It is happening again!" I replaced the receiver. The telephone remains silent 30 minutes later.

Friday evening, we had one of the new DiGiorno Ultimate Pepperoni pizzas. This pizza is wonderful! The sauce and cheese are great, the pepperoni is tasty and plentiful, and the crust is amazing. The crust comes out of the oven looking like it had an egg wash on it. It is a beautiful, delicious pizza. DiGiorno has a real winner here!

Saturday, I marinated a huge London broil in Merlot, extra-virgin olive oil, teriyaki sauce, sea salt, ground black pepper, ground cumin, and garlic powder for six hours. I poached some asparagus and sliced red bell pepper for 3 minutes, sprayed with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, seasoned with sea salt and ground black pepper, and refrigerated. Laura grilled the London broil, some red potatoes, and some large white mushrooms. One of my brothers joined us for dinner. We had a wonderful meal and enjoyed Jose Cuervo margaritas.

For dinner last evening, I sautéed sliced mushrooms, sliced onion, garlic, red potato, and the leftover asparagus, red bell pepper, and London broil. It was a delightful meal.