Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Heat of the Moment, Flying High, -and- Just Say No


Heat of the Moment - walking damages planet more than cars
Flying High - drunken flight attendant caused flight cancellation
Just Say No - China hopes to cure Internet addicts at summer camp

On this day in history: August 7, 1882 - Ellison Hatfield is stabbed 26 times and shot in the back by Tolbert McCoy and two of his brothers. Two days later, the Hatfield clan captures the three McCoys and executes them by firing squad. Thus begins generations of bloodshed between the families, ultimately causing about 100 casualties.

Born on this day in history: August 7, 1950 - Rodney Crowell (1950 - ____) singer, songwriter He wrote many songs recorded by Emmylou Harris; top ten single, "It's Such a Small World," 1988, was recorded as a duet with his wife, Roseanne Cash.

Today's Video: Dynamo pulls a polo out of his neck! - submitted by Darin





I recently had a client enter my office and inquire about my engagement with my HP Pocket PC. The client said, jokingly (of course), "What are you doing? Playing solitaire? You can fool most people by looking like you're really doing something, while you're playing a game, 'cause they can't see what you're doing, but you can't fool me."

"Apparently, you are fooled," I said, "if you believe I am playing a game. I am using QuickVerse and reading the Bible--in particular, Luke. I often use my Pocket PC to read scripture, since using it seems so personal and brings me, necessarily, closer to the Word."

I must explain at this point that this client is a highly "religious" woman who prides herself on her outward appearance as a pious "believer."

"I have five Bibles," she said. "I have one King James Version that was my uncle's Bible. My uncle was a Baptist preacher and a powerful man of God." "Really?" I said. "That is wonderful. You must take great pride in being related to such a person." "What do you mean?" she asked. "I mean you are giving praise to a man, when you should be giving your praise to God!" She frowned. "It matters not how many Bibles you have. It matters not how closely related by birth or marriage you are to people of faith. It matters not how the world judges you. The only thing that matters is how God judges you." "What do you mean?" she asked. "You need to spend more time in the Word," I replied. "You are trying to please people, and you need to learn to please God!"

Interestingly, I have no idea whatever what brought this client to my office, since she left without sharing this with me.

Such, unfortunately, is the world today: Entirely too much "value" is placed upon appearing "religious," and not enough emphasis is placed upon being Christ-like!