Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bad Medicine, The Closer, -and- iPiracy


Bad Medicine - surgeon hastened man's death to harvest kidneys
The Closer - car dealer kills two workers who sought raises
iPiracy - Eminem's music publisher sues Apple

On this day in history: August 1, 1966 - Former Eagle Scout and United States Marine Charles Whitman carries a sniper rifle onto University of Texas at Austin. There he climbs to the top of UT tower and begins firing indiscriminately at dozens of people, killing 13. Whitman is finally taken out 96 minutes later by three Austin PD officers.

Born on this day in history: August 1, 1942 - Jerry Garcia (1942 - 1995) musician, singer. He was the founder and lead guitarist of "The Grateful Dead; "In the Dark" was one of the Top Ten Albums of all time.

Today's Video: Dancing Otter





[NOTE: Those of you who did not watch "The Next Food Network Star" will not understand this dream.] I was photographing Corning's annual Olive Festival. I walked among the food and craft booths, photographing vendors and attendees. I came upon the area where the cooking competition entries were to be judged. A panel of judges sat at a picnic table, awaiting the first entry.

I was very surprised when Rory appeared and served the judges her entry. As the judges began tasting Rory's food, she described the ingredients and cooking methodology. She then left them to their task. I approached Rory and said, "Rory! Whatever are you doing here at the Corning Olive Festival?" She replied, "My restaurant failed, I got a divorce, and I decided to move to a community where life is slower and old-fashioned values are highly regarded." "I wish you well," I said.

A few locals presented their entries to the judges. Then, the final entrant appeared. It was Amy! After Amy served the judges and described her entry, I approached her and said, "Amy! Whatever are you doing here at the Corning Olive Festival?" She replied, "The TV show didn't work out, and I decided to move to a community where life is slower and old-fashioned values are highly regarded." "I wish you well," I said.

A local entrant won the competition.