Thursday, August 30, 2007

Crash!, This Land Was Your Land, -and- You're Not It


Crash! - DUI driver flees with body in window
This Land Was Your Land - man gets 6 months in jail for building fence
You're Not It - Colorado school bans tag

On this day in history: August 30, 1859 - At the University of Göttingen, PhD candidate Albert Niemann isolates the alkaloid C17H21NO4 from leaves of the plant Erythroxylum coca. Niemann names his white, powdery discovery "cocaine" and observes firsthand its peculiarly strong anesthetic effect: "it benumbs the nerves of the tongue, depriving it of feeling and taste."

Born on this day in history: August 30, 1918 - Ted Williams (1918 - 2002) baseball player "The Thumper" was the last baseball player to bat over .400; had .344 lifetime batting average; Hall of Fame, 1966.

Scripture of the Day: “Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household,” (Ephesians 2:19)

Video of the Day: World's Tallest Man Meets the Smallest





I went shopping at Sav-Mor Foods (conveniently, a mere block from our house) yesterday at 3:30 PM, following my departure from my office. (Since I arrive at my office by 7:30 AM each morning, I generally leave at 3:30 PM.) It was 107 degrees. I took my purchases to Mr. Nitro, unloaded them into him, and returned my shopping cart to the storage area. I noticed the numerous shopping carts abandoned throughout the parking lot by unthinking, uncaring, un-Christian miscreants and was reminded of Joyce Meyer's admonition that we should always return shopping carts. I have always done so, but Joyce's directive always comes to mind whenever I see that others do not do similarly.

As I walked back to Mr. Nitro, I saw a tiny, frail woman of perhaps 90 or more, obviously struggling in the extreme heat, returning her shopping cart. I took it from her and said, "I shall return this for you." "Thank you," she said, "and God bless you!" I replied, "You are certainly welcome, and may God bless you, as well!" Common decency and human kindness seem such simple matters, yet they are eschewed by so many. This is unfortunate, certainly.

Last Evening's Dinner: I sautéed julienned white onion and minced garlic in extra-virgin olive oil and sea salt. When the onion was translucent and caramelized, I added sliced white mushrooms, ground turkey breast, ground black pepper, ground cumin, Italian seasoning, and ground Cayenne pepper. I sautéed this, stirring often, until the turkey was cooked. I diced eight large tomatoes (beautiful, delicious, home-grown tomatoes from Corey's garden) and added them to the sauté pan. When Laura arrived home, she tended to the pan, stirring and blending the ingredients and flavors. I cooked a package of Barilla fettuccine for 9 minutes. (The package recommends 12 minutes, but I find that 9 minutes produces superior, al dente results.) I drained the fettuccine and added it to the sauce. Laura stirred it, and I took it to the table. I broiled some garlic bread that Laura had prepared. At the table, we added fresh grated Parmesan cheese and crushed red peppers. It was a delightful meal.

A quantity of leftovers followed Laura to Chico this morning for her lunch, and there still remains sufficient leftovers for another fine meal.