Friday, August 03, 2007

Fighting Back, Truckin', -and- Sympathy from the Devil


Fighting Back - man awakens, chases would-be burglar
Truckin' - monster-truck owner to lose home over fines
Sympathy from the Devil - Sean Penn praised by Venezuela's Chavez

On this day in history: August 3, 1996 - "Macarena" by Los Del Rio #1 on the pop charts. The accompanying dancing disease afflicts millions before final eradication.

Born on this day in history: August 3, 1887 - Rupert Brooke (1887 - 1915) poet. He was a gifted youth whose early death in World War I contributed to his idealized image; best known work is the sonnet sequence "1914."

Today's Video: Hitman - submitted by Darin





Our kitties love Jesus! That may seem a peculiar notion. I have very solid evidence of this, however: When I first arise in the morning, I usually turn on the stereo system and tune it to KLOVE, a Christian music station. I generally leave for the office before Laura leaves to begin her journey to Chico. If I have neglected to address KLOVE, I do so on my way out of the house. As I am leaving, I say a prayer over the house, Laura and me, and the kitties, Zeus and Thor.

When I return from the office, KLOVE is playing, the house is otherwise quiet and safe, and the kitties are in good spirits. They often perch in the window, awaiting my return. If not, they run to greet me when I enter. They have obviously spent the day dining and napping and are now ready to play! I entertain them with romps up and down the hallway, prompted by the beam of a laser pointer. This is followed by petting. As I go about my day, the kitties (Zeus in particular) press for more attention—winding about my legs and rubbing on me as I walk.

On the rare mornings when I neglect to turn on KLOVE, the kitties are listless when I arrive. They are generally sleeping fitfully and do not seek my attention. They are aloof and do not attempt to engage me in play.

It is obvious that a day of listening to KLOVE is emotionally beneficial to Zeus and Thor. It is not, then, an exaggeration to suggest that they love Jesus!