Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Armed Forces Day, In the News, Scam Attempt, and Enjoy

Armed Forces Day - Today is Armed Forces Day!

President Harry S. Truman led the effort to establish a single holiday for citizens to come together and thank our military members for their patriotic service in support of our country.

On August 31, 1949, Secretary of Defense Louis Johnson announced the creation of an Armed Forces Day to replace separate Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force Days.

The single day celebration stemmed from the unification of the Armed Forces under the Department of Defense.

In the News - They walk among us!

  • U.S. Utility's Control System Was Hacked, Says Homeland Security
  • Swiss Court Okays Nazi Salute
  • College Student Vanishes From Chicago Airport
  • Naked Man Dives Through Open Sunroof, Attacks Dallas Driver
  • Fast & Furious 7 Using Face-Replacement Technology for Late Star

    Scam Attempt - An idiotic scofflaw attempted to inveigle me yesterday! My office telephone rang. I looked at the Caller ID display and saw that the caller was reported as "Unknown Name," and the number as 516-467-0847.

    I routinely check calls from unknown sources by using Why Call Me? (www.whycall.me). I accessed Why Call Me?, entered the number, and quickly verified the caller was a scammer. My schedule was open, and I decided to have sport with this cretin.

    (I spoke in a high-pitched voice—greatly variant from my natural voice.)

  • ME: Good morning. Thank you for calling California Technologies. How may I direct your call?
  • SCAMMER: Please to talk to manager or owner.
  • ME: Thank you. Whom shall I say is calling?
  • SCAMMER: Yes. John.
  • ME: Thank you. I will transfer your call. Your call may be monitored for quality purposes.

    (I began using my natural voice at this point.)

  • ME: This is David. What is the nature of your call?
  • SCAMMER: Banking account error and locked. Must change password to unlock.
  • ME: Oh, you are from the bank. That is great. You must have my account there and can help me change my password?
  • SCAMMER: Sure. That's why I call.
  • ME: That is wonderful. I am so happy that you called. I managed to misplace my Social Security Number. Please check my Profile and give me my Social Security Number. Thank you.
  • SCAMMER: How do I know this is you?
  • ME: YOU called ME.
  • SCAMMER: How do I be sure of that?
  • ME: How do you know anything?
  • SCANNER: Plonk!