Monday, October 19, 2009

Got Beer?, Boo!, -and- Hop In!


Got Beer? - bear enters grocery, climbs into cooler
Boo! - dead man on balcony mistaken for Halloween decor
Hop In! - prospective car buyer takes 1,000-mile test drive

On this day in history: October 19, 1982 - Maverick carmaker John DeLorean is arrested in Los Angeles with $24M worth of cocaine in his suitcase. The case is later thrown out of court when a judge rules that the FBI sting operation constituted entrapment.

Born on this day in history: October 19, 1962 - Evander Holyfield (1962 - ) Born in Atmore, Alabama, American boxer Evander Holyfield won the National Golden Gloves Championship in 1984 as an amateur, and made the Olympic Boxing Team the same year. He then became the only professional fighter to win the heavyweight championship four separate times. In 1990, he became Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Scripture of the Day: Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned. - Psalm 34:21

Video of the Day: I Don't - submitted by Amber





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while passing through Walmart on the way to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






[While I slept:] Friday night, I dreamed that I was at Harvest Christian Center and was approached by a lady who asked whether I could provide accommodations for a Nepali exchange student. I said that Laura and I would be pleased to make our spare bedroom available for this purpose. Several days later, this lady appeared with the Nepali exchange student. I nicknamed him, "The Little Guy." He appeared to like this appellation, so from that point forward, he answered to "The Little Guy."

The cats—Zeus and Thor—displayed immediate dislike of The Little Guy, disregarding the effort shown by The Little Guy to curry favor with them by wearing a shirt that was emblazoned with a black cat! Thor—generally mild mannered and aloof—challenged The Little Guy immediately, disallowing him occupation of Laura's computer chair by nudging him from it. The Little Guy was intent upon sending an email to the exchange coordinator to complain about his mistreatment at the paws of the cats, but Thor kept him from accessing Laura's computer. When Later, while The Little Guy was eating, Zeus swatted the food from his plate onto the dining room table and proceeded to sniff at it and push it about with his front paws. He did not eat it. He has never shown an interest in food other than the dry cat food which has been the sole component of his diet since he and his brother came to live with us as kittens.

Life for The Little Guy continued in this fashion. He was relentlessly thwarted in his attempts to send email. Zeus had lost interest in batting The Little Guy's food about, however, and The Little Guy was eating well.

At one point, The Little Guy assumed the position on the love seat that Zeus chooses to occupy routinely. Zeus nudged The Little Guy in an attempt to dislodge him gently. The Little Guy made the mistake of pulling Zeus' tail! Zeus reached out with his sinewy right fore paw and smacked The Little Guy with such ferocity that The Little Guy sailed through the air and splatted against the wall on the other side of the living room!

It was bath time for The Little Guy. Laura drew his bath and called him when it was ready. She closed the bathroom door following The Little Guy's entrance. A few minutes later, I was passing by the bathroom and heard unusual sounds coming from within. Fearing The Little Guy was drowning, I opened the door and peered inside. The Little Guy was swimming laps in the tub!

At this point, Zeus awakened me. I queried Zeus concerning The Little Guy. Zeus looked puzzled, and I then realized it was but a dream.

Technology News
Best Buy loads up for Windows 7 launch
Ad group calls on FCC to rescind blogger rules
Mozilla blocking Microsoft plug-ins
Google Street View goes off-roading

iPhone News
Beginning today, I am discontinuing iPhone News. The popularity of this feature has fallen significantly, and there is no longer sufficient interest to warrant the time and energy requisite to maintain it.

As time passes, I find myself drawing up a mental balance sheet--with all the positives balanced against all the negatives. There is no balance. The negatives far outweigh the positives. I find that what was once guarded favor turned to disdain, and with each passing day this disdain comes nearer to abhorrence. I hope I can manage to last through the commitment period--at which time I shall most certainly replace our iPhones. I know not what the replacements will be, but I can say with certainty that they will not be Apple products. New phones are appearing that use Windows Mobile 6.5, and version 7.0 is soon to arrive. By the end of our commitment, there will be an exciting array of models from which to choose!