Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Armed and Dangerous, No Haunting, -and- Don't Make Me Laugh!


Armed and Dangerous - cops raid wrong house, force woman from shower
No Haunting - code violation shuts down haunted house
Don't Make Me Laugh! - world's stupidest inventions

On this day in history: October 21, 1997 - The Government of Singapore announces in a widely publicized "toilet alert" that the drive for toilet cleanliness is a great success. Five toilets were selected by citizens as toilet role models.

Born on this day in history: October 21, 1917 - Dizzy Gillespie (1917 - 1993 ) Jazz trumpeter, composer. Born John Birks Gillespie in Cheraw, South Carolina. He worked in prominent swing bands (1937-44), including those of Benny Carter and Charlie Barnet.

Scripture of the Day: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves
have received from God. - 2 Corinthians 1:3

Video of the Day: Windows 7 First Look, Part 1





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this vehicle in the Walmart parking lot while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.





Tomorrow Is the BIG DAY! Tomorrow, Windows 7 will be publicly released. As a Microsoft Partner, I was given early access to Windows 7. I have been using various versions of the OS on several of my systems. My main system (an HP workstation) is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. My HP notebook is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Two of my desktop systems are running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. I installed Window 7 on my HP workstation and HP notebook as fresh installs—necessitating re-installation of all programs and peripherals. I installed Windows 7 as an upgrade on the two desktop systems. All systems are operating flawlessly—much faster than they did under Vista. I encountered only two issues: 1) HP has not released drivers for my HP Scanjet G4050. The scanner works perfectly, however, with the Windows 7 drivers. HP says their drivers will be released tomorrow. Since the scanner works fine with the Windows 7 drivers, this is of no great concern. 2) Nvidia had not released drivers for the HP notebook's Nvidia GeForce 9400M video display adapter. The Windows 7 drivers allowed the use of only one display. Several evenings past, a notice appeared in the tray that drivers were waiting at Nvidia. This alert included a link that took me directly to the drivers on the Nvidia support site! Following the installation of the drivers and a restart of the system, the notebook's display was mirrored on my Vizio 47" LCD HDTV. I watched an episode of "T.J. Hooker" via Hulu to celebrate.

If you currently use Windows XP or Windows Vista, I highly recommend that you consider moving to Windows 7. Be certain that your hardware will be compatible by running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

Technology News
Windows 7 outperforms Vista in PC Labs tests
Windows 7: An upgrade story
Microsoft posts Sidekick recovery tool
Windows 7's Aero in pictures
Which Windows 7 is right for you?

Ann Minch's Debtors' Revolt! (Click image to visit!)