Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fighting Back, Attention Shoppers!, -and- Stars and Stripes Forever


Fighting Back - Christian-bookstore employee stands up to armed robber
Attention Shoppers! - lottery hoax Causess riot at Ohio coat store
Stars and Stripes Forever - U.S. flag ban at Oregon apartment complex reversed after outcry

On this day in history: October 15, 1917 - Dutch spy H21, also known as Mata Hari, is executed in Paris by a 12-man firing squad. The dancer, born Margaretha Geertruida Zelle, had slept with a number of high-ranking military officers from around the world and passed secrets along to the German high command.

Born on this day in history: October 15, 1945 - Penny Marshall (1945 - ) Born into a showbiz family in The Bronx, actress and film director Penny Marshall played Jack Klugman's secretary on her brother Garry's first hit series, "The Odd Couple" (1970-75). She became a TV star in 1976 as Laverne DeFazio on "Laverne & Shirley" (1977-1983), and then one of Hollywood’s most bankable directors after directing Big (1988) and A League Of Their Own (1991).

Scripture of the Day: The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth. — Psalm 34:16

Video of the Day: Uji Green Tea Processing - submitted by Cap'n Jack





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while driving past Walmart on the way to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






The Current Weather: According to Google, it is currently "61° and 16% chance of rain." Perhaps the meteorologists supplying this information should adjust their equipment: Currently, it is 61° (they got that right!) and 100% chance of rain. It is RAINING!

When I was preparing to leave the house this morning, I based my footwear selection upon Google's weather forecast. I shod myself with sandals. When I exited the house, I realized that my choice did not suit the current weather conditions. Oh, well, I parked 2 feet from the back door of my office. It is not a considerable distance to travel through falling rain.

Technology News
T-Mobile: "We've found 'most' Sidekick data"
AVG Free 9 offers speed, lacks etiquette
Acer overtakes Dell in PC shipments

iPhone News
Bear ambushes hiker, attacks her iPhone instead
Leonard Maltin Movie Guide packs 24,000 films in your iPhone