Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Sleepy, To Serve and Protect, -and- Surf's Down


Sleepy - teenager finds bat in bra
To Serve and Protect - cops arrest goat for attack on Toyota
Surf's Down - Internet flaw could let hackers take over Web

On this day in history: July 9, 1997 - Mike Tyson banned from boxing for one year, and fined $3M for biting Evander Holyfield's ear.

Born on this day in history: July 9, 1956 - Tom Hanks (1956-) Born in Concord, California, actor and director Tom Hanks began in community theater and guest roles on TV shows. His break came in "Big" (1988). Success followed with "Sleepless in Seattle," "Forrest Gump," and Oscar-winning performances. In 2002, Hanks became the youngest actor ever to receive the American Film Institute's Lifetime Achievement Award.

Scripture of the Day: O righteous God, who searches minds and hearts, bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure. - Psalm 7:9

Video of the Day: Challenger New vs. Old: Vanishing Point Revisited - submitted by Darin





I encountered this scene while driving to work this morning. This will not end well! Click to enlarge.






For dinner last evening, I made fettuccine with marinara sauce. The marinara sauce featured ground sirloin, julienned white onion, julienned Jalapeños, diced red bell pepper, sliced white mushrooms, diced Roma tomatoes, extra-virgin olive oil, Tony Chachere's More Spice, sea salt, ground black pepper, cumin, and Italian seasoning. This mixture simmered for three hours. It was a delicious meal.

(UPDATE: 7:10 AM) Yesterday, I made an appointment for 8 AM this morning to diagnose a PC and provide an estimate for repairs. Imagine my surprise when the client arrived at 7 AM! Imagine my even greater surprise when I saw the computer and realized it was a Macintosh and not a PC!

ME: I see that your computer is a Macintosh—not a PC. I do not service Macs, since I am not trained to do so.
CLIENT: What do you mean?
ME: I see that your computer is a Macintosh—not a PC. I do not service Macs, since I am not trained to do so.
CLIENT: So you're saying you can't fix it?
ME: I am not trained to service Macs. I recommend that you call Best Buy in Chico. It is possible that they have trained Macintosh technicians. If not, perhaps they can recommend someone.
CLIENT: So you're saying you can't fix it?
ME: Yes.
CLIENT: [shrugs shoulders, cocks head, throws up arms, raises voice] Why didn't you tell me yesterday when I called?
ME: You told me on the telephone that your PC required repair. This is not a PC. It is a Macintosh. If you had told me your computer was a Mac, I would have told you that I am not trained to service Macs.
CLIENT: Well, I wish you'd've told me before I unhooked this thing and brought it down here. [shrugs and sighs]
ME: Indeed.