Friday, October 13, 2006

Serve and Protect, Ahoy, -and- Somebody's Watching You


Serve and Protect - policeman suspended over graphic MySpace page
Ahoy! - message in a bottle travels 20,000 miles in 47 days
Somebody's Watching You - homeowners asked to spy on neighbors

On this day in history: October 13, 1972 - Due to poor visibility, a Uruguayan Air Force plane carrying the Montevideo Old Christians Rugby Club crashes high in the Chilean Andes. Of the 45 people aboard the flight, only 27 survive the crash, and just 16 make it to their rescue 72 days later. Their secret? Cannibalism.

Born on this day in history: October 13, 1941 - Paul Simon (1941 - ____) singer, songwriter. He established his fame as part of "Simon & Garfunkel" with "Sounds of Silence," then continued a solo career of innovative music with "Graceland."

Be certain to watch this hilarious video! Heineken Dog

NEW FEATURE: The videos are now available via the link "Amazing and Amusing Videos" in the Links section, below the visitor counter.

Yesterday morning, I received a call from a woman who wanted to make an appointment to have her computer serviced. She said that the system had slowed down significantly recently. I asked her whether she had anti-virus and anti-spyware applications installed, and she said that she did not. I told her that I could make an appointment for her at 10 AM on the next day. She agreed. This morning, the woman called and said, "You'll have to come here and fix my computer." "I do not make house calls," I replied. "You have to. I just found out it's Friday the 13th, and I'm not driving anywhere. I'm not leaving the house." "Such thinking is patently absurd," I replied. "I'm just superstitious," she said. "So you'll have to come here." "If you are determined to feed your paranoia, I can change your appointment to Monday at 10 AM," I replied "I need my computer fixed today, so you'll have to come here and fix it!" she said, with a tone of rising anger in her voice. "I shall not abide your dictating to me," I said. "Have a nice day. I shall pray for you. If you decide that you wish to make a new appointment, do not hesitate to call."

Pet the doggie! Click to enlarge.