Monday, November 02, 2009

Sir Have You Been Drinking?, Just Say No, -and- The Deep


Sir Have You Been Drinking? - California cops crack down on drunk biking
Just Say No - mayor refuses to judge evil Halloween event
The Deep - Japanese fishing trawler sunk by giant jellyfish

On this day in history: November 2, 1988 - The Internet Worm is released by Cornell grad student Robert Morris. His ingenious program was meant to explore the Internet harmlessly, but due to a bug, it crashed some 6,000 computers. Spaf parlays the incident into a career.

Born on this day in history: November 2, 1755 - Marie Antoinette (1755 - 1793) Born in Vienna, Austria, Queen of France Marie Antoinette married the Dauphin, afterward Louis XVI. At the outbreak of the French Revolution, she helped alienate the monarchy from the people. After the king's execution, she was guillotined.

Scripture of the Day: I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." - Psalm 91:2

Video of the Day: Lolo Jones - Extreme Press-Ups Challenge - submitted by Darin





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while passing through Walmart on the way to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.





Harvest Festival Saturday evening, Harvest Christian Center sponsored the 15th annual Harvest Festival. The weather was incredibly warm and pleasant, the attendance was great (estimated in excess of 1,600 people!), and the event was a major success. Previous Harvest Festivals have been held on the church campus, but the event has grown so large that this year, it was moved to Northside Park. Several other local churches and organizations joined Harvest Christian Center to make the event a great success. I photographed this event and will soon produce a slide show from these photographs. I shall post a few images here tomorrow as a preview of the slide show.

"Fringe" Over the weekend, I watched 12 episodes of "Fringe." One might easily imagine that this would cause me to sleep fitfully and dream of encounters with bizarre creatures. I slept soundly and enjoyed pleasant dreams, actually.

Firefox 3.6 Beta 1 The first beta of Firefox 3.6 is available for downloading. You can access this download from the link withing the first Technology News article below. I have been using it and find it to be very stable. It has many significant enhancements that are certain to appeal to users. Read the article for details.

Technology News
Mozilla releases first beta of Firefox 3.6
Best Buy, Verizon brace for massive Droid demand
Bing's new mobile site wants to be touched
Miley Cyrus: Twitter should be banned