Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fighting Back, Stupid Criminals, -and- Don't Drink That!


Fighting Back - working mom takes down meth ring
Stupid Criminals - man holds up bank with banana, leaves his wallet behind
Don't Drink That! - beer that survived Hindenburg to sell for $8300

On this day in history: November 10, 1940 - Walt Disney begins serving as a secret informer for the Los Angeles office of the FBI, to report back information on Hollywood subversives. He was made a "Full Special Agent in Charge Contact" in 1954. We should note that Disney was an atheist and thus subversive in his own little way.

Born on this day in history: November 10, 1932 - Roy Scheider (1932 - 2008) Born in Orange, New Jersey, Roy Scheider began his career as a boxer and a military man before becoming a stage actor. In 1971, he got his big break in The French Connection, for which he earned an Academy Award nod. But his best-known role came in 1975 with Steven Spielberg's film Jaws.

Scripture of the Day: Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30

Video of the Day: New Jersey Cop Assaults TV Cameraman - submitted by Cap'n Jack





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.





Veterans Day Parade Hopefully, the unexpected rain storm that visited us last evening was the rain that had been forecast for Wednesday morning. If so, we may have dry weather for tomorrow's Veterans Day parade. Current forecasts indicate that more rain is due Thursday, but the forecast for tomorrow is currently more promising.

"Fringe" We watched two episodes of "Fringe" last evening. It is excellent how Warner Bros. queues the episodes chronologically and plays them automatically. I simply pause play at the end of an episode, leave the site open in a Firefox tab, and resume play when next we are ready to watch another episode (or two). I like that.

Technology News

Apple patches 53 holes in massive Mac OS X update
Nokia recalls 14 million AC adapters
Google will not give Clearwire more financing
Apple TV users warned about disappearing content
Initial Motorola Droid sales look good