Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Stupid Criminals, Sell this House, -and- The Other Dark Meat

Stupid Criminals - masked man waits in line to rob bank
Sell this House - showhome comes complete with teenager's messy bedroom
The Other Dark Meat - raccoon is making it to the table

On this day in history: January 14, 1601 - Authorities of the Catholic Church burn a large percentage of the Hebrew books in Rome. Monks targeted the books because they felt they portrayed Jesus in a blasphemous manner.

Born on this day in history: January 14, 1968 - LL Cool J (1968-) Born James Todd Smith in Bayshore, NY, hip hop artist LL Cool J (or, Ladies Love Cool James) released his first hit, "I Need a Beat," while still a teen. His fourth album, "Mama Said Knock You Out," was a mainstream success, popular with mid-America and urban kids. LL Cool J has also pursued an acting career and, in 1996, launched a clothing line, FUBU (For Us, By Us).

Scripture of the Day: Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. - Psalm 100:4

Video of the Day: Stethoscope - submitted by Frank

I created today's blog from the comfort of our deck. Click to enlarge.

The Visitation
My friend, Frank, visited me at my office yesterday. If you came to this blog between 4 PM yesterday afternoon and 7 AM this morning, you saw Frank's 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra, captured by the CATCam. You can read about Frank's Mustang and see videos of it by clicking on his name and visiting his blog.

The Dinner
Last evening's dinner was a relatively simple dish, but it is easily one of our very favorite meals: Chilled Oriental Noodle Salad I cooked three large Tyson boneless, skinless chicken breasts and 10 large white mushrooms (sliced) in boiling water for 20 minutes. I removed the chicken breasts and set aside to cool, and I removed the cooking pot from the stove. I broke up the contents of four bags of Oriental-flavor ramen noodles and added this to the pot. I allowed the noodles to remain in the hot water for 5 minutes. I drained the noodles and mushroom slices into a large colander and ran cold water over this to stop the cooking process. I left the noodles and mushroom slices to drain while I chopped two bunches of green onions, a quarter of a head of cabbage, a large red bell pepper, and four ribs from the center of a head of celery. I moved the contents from the colander into a large, stainless-steel bowl and added the chopped vegetables. I added a cup of frozen corn kernels and a cup of frozen peas. I shredded the chicken breasts and added them to the bowl. I dressed with extra-virgin olive oil, rice wine vinegar, sea salt, ground black pepper, crushed red pepper, ground ginger, lime juice, and the contents of the four flavor packets from the ramen noodles. I tossed this slowly until everything was mixed well, covered with aluminum foil, and placed in the refrigerator to cool. It was indescribably delicious. A quantity will follow Laura to work this morning, and a quantity remains for a dinner later in the week.

The Dream
[While I slept] I attended a Microsoft seminar in San Francisco. Following the seminar, I recalled that my friend, Frank, was working on a job site (Frank is a master tile setter) in Berkeley. I called his cell phone and suggested to him that we meet. He agreed, we met, and he suggested we visit the Seismic Research Facility at the University of California at Berkley. He said the facility was open to the public this week and said it should prove to be an interesting adventure. When we reached the facility, we were greeted by a young male tour guide. He guided us through the facility, explaining the functions of the equipment we encountered. Suddenly, we were in a large room that contained only a small domestic cat—suspended upside-down by a cord, from the ceiling. The cat dangled approximately 6 feet from the floor, and on the floor beneath the cat was an intricate pattern of intersecting lines, numbers, and scientific symbols. "Why is this cat suspended thusly?" I said. "Sometimes, the old ways are the best ways," he answered. "Get him down from there at once!" The tour guide shrugged his shoulders and made no verbal response. I advanced toward the cat. The tour guide gave a signal with his right hand, and several armed guards approached me. I quickly took my Spyderco knife from my pocket, cut the cord holding the cat, clasped the cat to my chest, and ran! Soon, I was seated in an outdoor café. I was enjoying a glass of Pinot blanc, and the cat was lapping with great abandon at a saucer of non-fat milk.