Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Slither, The Name Game, -and- Grillin' and Chillin'


Slither - Brentwood mom finds snake sleeping in crib with baby
The Name Game - couple wins right to name son "Lego"
Grillin' and Chillin' - store refuses to sell woman barbecue sauce without her ID

On this day in history: June 11, 1962 - Frank Morris and the brothers John and Clarence Anglin escape from Alcatraz.

Born on this day in history: June 11, 190 - Jacques (Yves) Cousteau (1910 - 1997) Born in Saint-Ande, France, underwater explorer Jacques Cousteau pioneered underwater TV. In 1950, he commanded the French naval research ship Calypso. Cousteau’s films include the Oscar-winning "The Golden Fish" (1960).

Scripture of the Day: In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. - Romans 6:11

Video of the Day: How It's Made: Marbles - submitted by Cindy





The wind continues! Drat this pesky wind!

For dinner last evening, I made enchiladas. I chopped grilled burgers that remained from last Friday's dinner. I placed the resulting pieces in a Glad container, sprinkled a tablespoon of water over them, affixed the lid—leaving one corner unsecured to allow steam to escape—and steamed for a few minutes in the microwave oven. This made the chopped burger meat very moist and tender.

I sautéed julienned white onion, julienned Jalapeños, minced garlic, Tony Chachere's More Spice, ground cumin, ground black pepper, and Gebhardt's chili powder in extra-virgin olive oil. I added the meat and half a package of baby spinach leaves. I continued to sauté this until the spinach was fully wilted. I stirred the mixture and set aside to cool. I brushed a Pyrex baking dish with enchilada sauce. I placed some of the meat mixture in a white flour tortilla, rolled tightly, and placed in the Pyrex dish. I continued this procedure until the mixture was gone. I poured enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, topped with sliced extra-sharp cheddar cheese and chopped green onions and set aside. I made corn salsa with fresh salsa, chopped green onions, and kernel corn. I made guacamole with fresh salsa and two large avocados. Laura baked the enchiladas in the microwave until the cheese was melted. At the table, we used sour cream, guacamole, and corn salsa as condiments. It was a delighful meal. A quantity of enchiladas remains for dinner on Friday.