Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Stupid Criminals, No Kidding, -and- Neither Rain nor Sleet...


Stupid Criminals - college student jailed for throwing M&Ms at cops
No Kidding - parents fly away, leave toddler at airport
Neither Rain nor Sleet... - postal worker accused of taking 100,000 pieces of mail home

On this day in history: May 14, 1976 - Keith Relf, former vocalist of the Yardbirds, is electrocuted in his London home while either tuning or playing a guitar belonging to either him or his son, in either the basement or the bathtub. Details are sort of sketchy, resulting from the family's reticence to describe the death scene.

Born on this day in history: May 14, 1944 - George Lucas (1944-) Born in Modesto, CA, director, writer and producer George Lucas hit it big with low-budget "American Graffiti" (1973), which is considered one of the most successful low-budget features ever made. He then created fantasy adventure "Star Wars" (1977). Made for $11 million, the film grossed over $513 million worldwide in its original release alone. Lucas continued the story in sequels, setting up a special effects company, Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) and a sound studio, Skywalker Sound. A single parent, Lucas has adopted three children.

Scripture of the Day: Seek good, not evil, that you may live. Then the LORD God Almighty will be with you, just as you say he is. - Amos 5:14

Video of the Day: Challenger 2.0 - Dodge's New Muscle Car





Here is a photograph from last weekend's May Madness car show. I shall soon
produce a slide show and will post the URL here when I have done so. Click
to enlarge.






Each weekday morning, I awaken at approximately 5 AM. Sometimes, I awaken a few minutes earlier, and sometimes I awaken a few minutes later. I always awaken within 5 or 10 minutes of 5 AM, however. Imagine my surprise this morning when I awakened, looked at the alarm clock on Laura's side of the bed, and saw that it was 6:05 AM! Yikes! I scurried about—showering and dressing. Generally, I have 30 minutes or more each morning during which I read scripture. This morning, there was no time for this. I bade Laura a good morning and scurried off to Mr. Nitro. As I drove to work, I thought that it appeared very dark. Lately, it has been daylight during my morning drive to my office.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at Mr. Nitro's time display and saw that it was FIVE-THIRTY AM! Apparently, Laura had incorrectly set the time on the alarm clock. Oh, well, it is quiet here at 5:30 AM. I should be able to get some things accomplished before the rush of clientele descends upon me!