Thursday, May 15, 2008

Come to the Cabernet, The Plane Truth, -and- Flip this House


Come to the Cabernet - music can enhance wine taste
The Plane Truth - Paul McCartney "horrified" as his eco car is flown 7,000 miles from Japan
Flip this House - Palm Beach estate sells for $100 million

On this day in history: May 15, 1972 - Hoping to gain everlasting infamy, Arthur Bremer pumps five bullets into Democratic presidential candidate George Wallace during a campaign stop in Laurel, Maryland. In his haste, the gunman forgets to yell his carefully-chosen catchphrase, "Penny for your thoughts!" And when Wallace survives the assassination attempt, albeit confined to a wheelchair, Bremer's name is soon forgotten.

Born on this day in history: May 15, 1923 - Richard Avedon (1923- 2004) Born in New York City, photographer Richard Avedon began shooting fashion for "Harper's Bazaar" (1945-65), and became known for stark portraits of people in unusual poses. He published his first book of celebrity portraits, "Observations," in 1959. In 1963, Avedon photographed aspects of the Civil Rights and Anti-War movements, then became famous working for "Vogue."

Scripture of the Day: Be very careful, then, how you live -- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. - Ephesians 5:15/

Video of the Day: Would You Eat This? - submitted by Amber





A new seller appeared at the local farmers market last evening. Click to enlarge.






May Madness Slide Show: A slide show of photographs from last weekend's May Madness 2008 awaits your viewing pleasure. From the Local Events Photo Gallery choose May Madness Car Show.

Warm Weather! Warm weather has arrived! It was in the high 80s last evening at 6:45 PM, when Laura and I traveled in Mr. Nitro to Bible class at Harvest Christian Center. Mr. Nitro's outside temperature display indicated that it was 78 degrees this morning as I drove to my office at 6:15 AM. It is forecast to be 101 degrees this afternoon. The warm weather has arrived!

Yesterday afternoon, at 12:35 PM, the telephone rang:
ME: California Technologies.
CALLER: Hello. Do you do computer repairs?
ME: Yes. I would be pleased to test your computer and give you an estimate for repairs at no cost. Time constraints, however, do not allow me to schedule this earlier than Monday after 10 AM.
CALLER: That's no good. I need it fixed today. Right away. I've got stuff I need to do.
ME: What is the nature of the problem you have encountered? Perhaps I can assist you without the necessity of your bringing your computer here.
CALLER: Whoa! You need to come here.
ME: I do not make on-site repairs. You would need to bring your computer here, and Monday morning would be the earliest that I could diagnose it.
CALLER: I've got a big sale going on eBay. I've got to get back online and deal with it. I need you to come and fix my computer asap.
ME: What is the nature of the problem you have encountered? Perhaps I can assist you without the necessity of your bringing your computer here.
CALLER: You don't get it, do you? I'm not unhooking all this stuff. My brother borrowed my car 'cause his is in the shop. I need this thing fixed asap.
ME: I can offer the use of a kiosk system here that has nigh-speed Clearwire Internet access. You may use this system at no cost to finalize your eBay auction. I will be here until 3:30 PM. You may use this system until then.
CALLER: You don't get it, do you? My brother's got my car. His is in the shop.
ME: I understand. If you find someone who can provide you transportation to my office, you may use the kiosk system until 3:30 PM. In order to avoid having to return on Monday, you may bring your computer here today. If I find that I have time to diagnose it earlier, I shall do so, but at present, it would be Monday morning before I will have the time to test it.
CALLER: I'm not going anywhere. My brother's got my car, and I don't have anybody to drive me. You'll have to come here and fix it asap.
ME: What is the nature of the problem you have encountered? Perhaps I can help you without necessitating physically inspecting your computer.
CALLER: It won't go on the Internet. It says "no dial tone."
ME: That would indicate there is no dial tone. Ensure that your computer is connected to a working telephone jack. Try restarting the computer. When you do this, shut the computer down, unplug the power cord for 5 minutes, reconnect the power cord, and restart the computer. If this does not solve the problem, I would need to test the computer. It sounds as if your modem has stopped working. First, however, try the suggestions I have made.
CALLER: You're telling me to do YOUR job for you?
ME: Excuse me. I have a client here who has just brought her computer in for service. I must excuse myself and consult with her. She has an appointment. Good bye.

I replaced the receiver. I began a fresh game of Mah Jongg on my HP iPAQ. A few minutes later, the telephone rang. Caller ID indicated it was the recent caller. I let it go to voice mail. No message was left. This happened three additional times. I have had no further communication from this person.