Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Fighting Back, Reality TV, -and- Nap Time


Fighting Back - man clad in underwear pins leopard
Reality TV - contestants vie for woman's kidney
Nap Time - burglary suspect found sleeping in car

On this day in history: May 29, 1999 - Hikers discover the skeletal remains of Philip "Taylor" in his Ford Aerostar at the bottom of a 200-foot ravine in Malibu, California. The onetime bassist for the band Iron Butterfly had disappeared four years prior.

Born on this day in history: May 29, 1736 - Patrick Henry (1736 - 1799) statesman, orator. He was a brilliant orator of the American Revolution ("Give me liberty or give me death", 1755); first governor of VA.

Today's Video: Steve McQueen Mustang Commercial





VIDEOS: The videos are now available via the link "Amazing and Amusing Videos" in the Links section, below the visitor counter.

I hope everyone had a festive and safe Memorial Day weekend. Laura and I chose not to travel over the weekend. We generally do not travel during holidays. We chose to rest, enjoy some excellent meals, and eschew the traffic and high fuel prices.

Sunday, I made a spicy barbecue sauce, and Laura used it to glaze some grilled chicken breasts. I made a green bean sauté. I steamed green beans and whole garlic cloves for three minutes in the microwave and set aside. I sautéed sliced white onion, sliced white mushrooms, and sliced cluster tomatoes in extra-virgin olive oil and Cajun seasoning. When the vegetables were cooked, I added the green beans and garlic and stirred. The meal was delightful.

Monday, Laura put a spicy dry rub on two huge, thick New York strip steaks and grilled them perfectly—charred on the outside and rare in the center. I made a green salad with spring mix, sliced white mushrooms, sliced red onion, sliced celery, sliced red bell pepper, and grape tomatoes. It was an excellent meal.