Thursday, May 21, 2009

Gas-X, Slither, -and- Keep Your Eyes on the Road


Gas-X - Utah company creates Hummer that gets 100 MPG
Slither - student used snake as jump rope
Keep Your Eyes on the Road - poll shows 1 in 4 Americans texting while driving

On this day in history: May 21, 1979 - A judge gives Dan White only seven years for the premeditated murders of Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone, prompting thousands to march on San Francisco's City Hall. In what will come to be known as the White Night Riots, the demonstration takes a violent turn, resulting in significant property damage and the torching of twelve SFPD cruisers. Police respond with brutal beatdowns at gay bars in the Castro district.

Born on this day in history: May 21, 1917 - Raymond Burr (1917-1993) Television actor, born in Westminster, Canada. Coming from Canada to study at Stanford University, he began as a stage actor, appearing in regional theatre before moving into television dramas and films. He starred as the burly detective in the "Perry Mason" (1957-66) and "Ironside" (1967-75) series, winning two Emmys. He went on to appear in several TV mini-series and in extended versions of "Perry Mason."

Scripture of the Day: Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:7

Video of the Day: Cat vs. Dramatic Prairie Dog - submitted by Amber





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while picking up a client's computer on the way to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






The Persistent Telemarketer

When I arrived at my office this morning, the telephone was ringing. I thought to myself that it must be a client in dire need of technical support for someone to be calling at 6:45 AM. I sat at my desk and answered the telephone. Following my, "California Technologies," he offered no introduction but began immediately a quick recitation of a long-distance telephone service. I attempted three times to interject the affirmation that I had no interest whatever in his proposal, but he continued to prattle. I returned the telephone receiver to its cradle.

A minute or two later, the telephone rang again. The Caller ID showed "Unknown Name," as it had done with the previous call, so I assumed that it was the telemarketer again. I answered with, "Can you hold please," and I placed the telephone receiver on my desk. I went about my usual morning activities: I turned on the lights, turned the front door sign to "Open," and turned on all the computer LCD screens. I picked up the telephone receiver, and I said, "Thank you for holding. Your call is important. Please continue to hold." I opened Outlook 2007, put some ice in a glass, and poured a Pepsi Max. I picked up the telephone receiver and said, "I'm sorry. All agents are busy. Please continue to hold. Your expected wait time is four hours and twenty minutes. Thank you."

After a few minutes, I checked the telephone and determined the telemarketer had disconnected. I returned the telephone receiver to its cradle. Within only a few seconds, the telephone rang again, and I saw the dreaded "Unknown Name" appear on the Caller ID device. I picked up the telephone receiver and held it to my ear but said nothing. The telemarketer said, "Hello...anybody there?" I replied, "You have called an active crime scene. What is the nature of your call?" There was no reply. An hour has passed, and the telemarketer has not called again.