Monday, February 09, 2009

Fighting Back, To Serve and Protect, -and- Never Too Old


Fighting Back - two crime victims kill their attackers
To Serve and Protect - confidential internal affairs report mistakenly put on Internet
Never Too Old - 56-year-old becomes first woman to swim Atlantic Ocean

On this day in history: February 9, 1989 - Officials for the World Wrestling Federation testify before the New Jersey Senate that their matches are actually rigged.

Born on this day in history: February 9, 1944 - Alice Walker (1944 - ) Born in Eatonton, GA, poet and novelist Alice Walker is best known for her novels, notably "The Color Purple" (1982), which won a Pulitzer and was made into a successful movie.

Scripture of the Day: And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. - 1 John 4:16

Verizon Dead Zone Axe Guy
Video of the Day:





Imagine my surprise when I happened upon this unusual specimen while photographing birds near the lake behind my office! Click to enlarge.






Zeus' New Trick: Sunday morning, I arose at 4:45 AM. I quietly slithered from the bedroom, allowing Laura to continue sleeping. I turned on the light in the refrigerator door and toasted an English muffin. I turned on a lamp in the dining room, sat in my recliner, turned on my Microsoft wireless mouse, and pushed it across the mouse pad slightly, causing my HP notebook’s 17" LCD display to become active. I nibbled on the English muffin while solving the first of the three crossword puzzles I do each Sunday morning. (I solve five crossword puzzles each Monday; four each Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday; and three each Saturday.) Suddenly, the house fell into near darkness. Only the glow of the HP’s display pierced this darkness. "The florescent light bulb in the lamp must have expired," I thought. This did not surprise me, since it was approximately five years old.

I employed the X-10 remote to engage a lamp in the living room.

Imagine my surprise moments later, as I walked into the kitchen to make a cup of green tea with honey and noticed that the cord for the lamp in the dining room had been unplugged from the wall socket, with Zeus close beside, staring up at me for kudos of his handiwork!

If Zeus is capable of this, of what other devious deeds may he be capable? My mind is awhirl considering the possibilities!

Zeus will necessitate closer watching, I fear!

The Weekend: Friday afternoon, I boiled 17 chicken wings for 20 minutes, removed from the pan, allowed them to cool, and patted them dry with a paper towel. I placed the wings in a zip-seal bag and coated them with Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce. I sloshed the wings about in order to ensure they were fully coated with the hot sauce. I then poured in a quantity of barbecue sauce, sloshed the wings about, removed the excess air, sealed the bag, and placed it in the refrigerator. Saturday afternoon, tossed the wings onto the grill. Laura poured the sauce mixture that remained in the bag into a glass measuring cup and handed the cup and a brush to me. I grilled the chicken wings for 40 minutes—turning them and basting them with the sauce mixture every 10 minutes. Laura cooked OrIda curly fries in the conventional oven. It was a delightful meal.

Sunday morning, I put a spicy dry rub on a huge tri-tip, covered it with aluminum foil, and placed it in the refrigerator. Sunday evening, I made a salad with heart of Romaine, sliced white mushrooms, chopped green onions, and diced cluster tomatoes. I seasoned it with sea salt, ground black pepper, dried parsley, and sesame seeds. I dressed it with extra-virgin olive oil, rice wine vinegar, and lime juice. I grilled the tri-tip until it was nicely charred on the outside and rare in the center—spraying it while it roasted with a mixture of 1/3 extra-virgin olive oil and 2/3 balsamic vinegar. It was a delicious meal. We intend to enjoy a redux this evening.

The weather was mild throughout the weekend. Just as I began grilling Sunday afternoon, the wind suddenly became fierce, and the rain began falling greatly! Yikes! I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head and sallied forth—determined that I would not be deterred from my appointed task!