Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Animal Kingdom, Mommie Dearest, -and- All Clear!


Animal Kingdom - 100+ animals taken from Buffalo apartment
Mommie Dearest - Polish student reports mother to police for torture
All Clear! - bomb squad called over toilet float

On this day in history: February 10, 1863 - Midgets Tom Thumb and Lavinia Warren married in a ceremony promoted and orchestrated by P.T. Barnum, reception tickets $75 (adjusted for inflation, $1250 in today's dollars). Commodore Nutt served as best man.

Born on this day in history: February 10, 1961 - George Stephanopoulos (1961-) Born in Fall River, Mass., political commentator George Stephanopoulos worked for then-House majority leader Dick Gephardt. In 1991, he signed on to Bill Clinton's presidential campaign, and served as senior advisor in the White House. Stephanopoulos is now a TV analyst for ABC News.

Scripture of the Day: In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. - 1 John 4:17

Video of the Day: Don't Be Afraid of Dead Zones





Here is Laura (on the left) at her company's annual Employee Appreciation
Dinner last month. Click to enlarge.






BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! The AccuWeather Gadget indicated that it was 29° as I perched in my recliner, gathering news items for today's blog post on my HP notebook. It was 6 AM, and the house was warm, but it was obviously cold outside! Fortunately, it was very dry as well, so there was no ice on Mr. Nitro's windshield. The rain that was forecast for today and tomorrow has not appeared. Weather forecasts still show rain, so perhaps it will come later today. Meanwhile, it is cold! I am now at my office, it is 7:30 AM, and the outside temperature has reached a frosty 31°. The temperature gauge in the office showed 60° when I arrived. All the computers keep the building relatively warm.

I am enjoying a great treat this morning: Laura had lunch at Hula's Chinese BBQ yesterday, and she brought me her leftovers. I am enjoying a rice, noodle, beef, and vegetable delight. It is tasty indeed, and the crushed red peppers I added are helping to warm me.

Pranksters hack into electronic road sign: Someone hacked an electronic road sign on Cohasset Road in Chico yesterday morning and altered its message. For several hours, the sign read "CHUCK NORRIS FOR PRESIDENT." While I certainly do not condone hacking electronic road signs, I find the premise of the message to be excellent!

The full story can be found here.