Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Caught!, Boo!, -and- Bang!


Caught! - top Mafia don arrested in Sicily raid
Boo! - woman robs kids of Halloween candy
Bang! - using hand as mock gun a crime

On this day in history: November 6, 1989 - Kitty Dukakis, wife of Presidential candidate and Massachusetts governor Michael Dukakis, is hospitalized for drinking rubbing alcohol.

Born on this day in history: November 6, 1946 - Sally Field (1946 - ____) actress. She won Oscars for "Norma Rae," 1979 and "Places in the Heart," 1985.

Scripture of the Day: "And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment; to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ." (Ephesians 1:9-10)

Video of the Day: This Movie Is about Cats Flying - submitted by Cindy





The local Dodge Nitro Club held its first meeting this morning in the meadow behind my office. Click to enlarge.






Recommended Site: Corning California Net - A free forum for Corning, California!

Recommended Site: Nikon Photographer - A free forum for all photographers (NOT just Nikon users!) and anyone interested in photography!

For dinner last evening, I mad jambalaya. I used leftover grilled items from the weekend's meals—pork loin chop, Johnsonville Italian sausage, and chicken breast. I sliced these items and added them to two cups of brown rice, two cups of water, one cup of white wine, three large sliced Jalapeños, 1/2 sliced large red onion, four tablespoons minced garlic, one package baby spinach, and six sliced large Roma tomatoes. I seasoned with sea salt, ground black pepper, cumin, and ground Cayenne pepper. I cooked this, unattended, for two hours on medium-low heat. When Laura arrived home from work, she stirred and pronounced it ready to enjoy. Enjoy we did! It was wonderfully tasty and spicy. A quantity of leftover jambalaya followed Laura to work this morning. She shall enjoy a festive lunch.

Saturday morning, I had an experience I had not previously endured: I shopped at Sav-Mor Foods at 8:30 AM. Sav-Mor Foods has no baggers. Customers bag their purchases themselves. I removed my selected items from my cart, placed them on the conveyor belt, and fed my credit card into the processor. The checker entered the items into the system, announced the total, and handed me a receipt to sign. I signed the receipt and advanced to the bagging area. My cart was gone! I looked to the next lane and saw that what appeared to be my cart was being loaded by a stranger. "Excuse me," I said, "did you by chance steal my cart?" "I guess," he replied. "Well," I said, "remove your items and return my cart to me at once, please." There was no response. I repeated this request. There was no response. I noticed that the checker appeared to be stunned by the bizarre antics of this cart-stealing cretin. I walked around the bagging area, removed his items from my cart, took my cart, and began bagging my items and placing them in my cart. As I departed the store, the low, guttural grumblings of the cart monster echoed in my ears. What a way, thought I, to begin one's day.