Tuesday, September 04, 2007

To Serve and Protect, Of Mice and Men, -and- All in the Family


To Serve and Protect - officer accused of spanking woman's rear
Of Mice and Men - human-animal embryo study wins approval
All in the Family - 100-year-old man has 100 grandkids

On this day in history: September 4, 1991 - 25 workers are killed when a fire breaks out at the Imperial Foods food processing plant in Hamlet, North Carolina. Most of the victims—predominantly single mothers—die of smoke inhalation. The facility's rear exit had been padlocked by management to deter employee pilferage. The Imperial plant had never once in its 11-year history been inspected by the state. The owner, Emmet Roe, later receives 19 years in prison for the 25 counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Born on this day in history: September 4, 1949 - Tom Watson (1949 - ____) golfer He won the British Open five times; Masters twice, U.S. Open once.

Scripture of the Day: “What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you and guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.” (2 Timothy 1:13-14)

Video of the Day: Idiot Thieves - submitted by Cindy





After three days of relaxing, it is going to be difficult returning to work! The Labor Day weekend was a restful period for us. We did little other than lounge. It was wonderfully restorative. We had Scrabble tournaments on Saturday and Sunday. We opened and used for the first time a very nice Scrabble game given us by one of my brothers for Christmas several years ago. It features a swivel base and recessed spots for the tiles. Laura did particularly well and won several games. I work three or more crossword puzzles each day and have done so since the age of 3 or so. It is no simple matter to best me at Scrabble, and I applaud Laura for the determination that led to several victories for her.

You may recall me telling you of the Mr. Clean Pro-Series AutoDry Car Wash System and my delight at finding that it performs fully as depicted in the television advertisements. I am always pleasantly surprised when a product lives up to its commercial presentation. I discovered another product that easily meets the promises made in its advertising: Bayer Back and Body works incredibly well to quickly and completely banish back, joint, and muscle pain! I have suffered back pain for as long as I can remember—stemming from an automobile accident in the late 1960s. Routinely, I take aspirin several times daily to alleviate back pain. While the aspirin makes the pain manageable, it does not make it cease. Saturday for the first time (with great reservation, I must say), I tried Bayer Back and Body. I was very delighted to find that within a short period of time (perhaps 20 minutes), my back pain was gone! While the manufacturer recommends 2 tablets every 6 hours, I found that 2 tablets lasted throughout the entire day! I highly recommend this product!