Monday, September 15, 2008

Heat of the Moment, Back to School, -and- Where's the Beef?


Heat of the Moment - AccuWeather: global cooling on the way
Back to School - woman poses as daughter to practice with cheerleaders
Where's the Beef? - new culinary craze: eating with blindfolds

On this day in history: September 15, 1998 - Rap artist Coolio is arrested in Lawndale, California after being pulled over for driving a 1996 Hummer on the wrong side of the road. He was carrying an expired license, a loaded 9mm semiautomatic firearm, and a small quantity of marijuana.

Born on this day in history: September 15, 1946 - Tommy Lee Jones (1946-) Academy-Award-winning actor, director, and screenwriter born September 15, 1946, in San Saba, Texas.

Scripture of the Day: [In talking about others having the right to be supported in their ministry, the apostle Paul says] But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me. I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of this boast. - 1 Corinthians 9:15

Video of the Day: Origami Frog - submitted by Danica





Yikes! Say it is not so! Click to enlarge.






Following the early service at Harvest Christian Center yesterday, I produced a delectable Oriental salad: I poached sliced white mushrooms for 20 minutes. I added a package of Oriental noodles to the boiling water and continued to cook for 3 minutes. I then added a package of snow peas and turned off the burner. I allowed the mushrooms, noodles, and snow peas to remain in the water for another minute then drained into a colander. I shook the colander vigorously to further drain and emptied the contents into a large stainless-steel mixing bowl. I added a quantity of chopped green onions and sliced water chestnuts. I sliced leftover grilled London broil into thin strips and added to the salad. I grated a large quantity of fresh ginger onto the salad and seasoned with Tony Chachere's More Spice, garlic powder, parsley flakes, crushed red pepper, and celery salt. I dressed the salad with a mixture of one part teriyaki sauce, one part extra-virgin olive oil, and three parts rice wine vinegar. I tossed the salad, covered with a paper towel, and placed in the refrigerator. It was a delightful evening meal.

Sunday afternoon, I photographed the Harvest Christian Center softball tournament—the second of the year. I shall produce a slide show from these photographs and share them soon.