Friday, August 15, 2008

Faith under Fire, Jaws of Death, -and- Somebody's Watching You


Faith under Fire - atheists abandon attempt to ban baptisms
Jaws of Death - man fights off black bear with bare hands to save 8-year-old son
Somebody's Watching You - spy cam in Walmart sends credit card information to thieves

On this day in history: August 15, 1969 - Woodstock begins on Max Yasgur's farm in upstate New York. Tickets are $18 for three days of counterculture musical acts, including Jimi Hendrix, The Who, and Sha-Na-Na.

Born on this day in history: August 15, 1972 - Ben Affleck (1972-) Actor, screenwriter. Affleck grew up in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His first acting experience was in "The Dark End of the Street" (1979), an independent film. At the age of eight, Affleck appeared in a PBS production, "The Voyage of the Mimi." That same year, he met his future best friend, Matt Damon, a 10-year-old who lived two blocks away.

Scripture of the Day: For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." - Romans 8:15

Video of the Day: Google Maps: Part 1 of "The Googling" - submitted by Laura





Mr. Fly came to have his portrait taken. He would not come inside my studio, so I met him outside. Click to enlarge.






Hot! It is going to be particularly hot again today, and it is forecast to be hotter yet for the weekend. The high here yesterday was reported as 110 degrees. It is expected to be that again today and reach 112 to 115 over the weekend!

Imagine my fear and loathing when I reached Mr. Nitro yesterday afternoon, in preparation to journey to my home, when I realized I had neglected to affix the sun shield! Great Scott! The leather seat seared the flesh on the backs of my legs. My hands quickly cooked and left large patches of skin on the steering wheel. Perhaps I exaggerate. I do not exaggerate much, however!

For those who feverishly ferreted the Chico News & Review for my Maria Muldaur photograph: Do not despair. I was not able to find it, either. I assume that was intended for next week's issue. I shall determine this and advise you.