Thursday, December 27, 2007

Forget Paris, Don't Try This at Home, -and- Home Alone


Forget Paris - Grandpa Hilton to donate 97% of his wealth to charity
Don't Try This at Home - skydivers hope to land without parachute
Home Alone - 9 kids left alone for nearly a week

On this day in history: December 27, 1992 - Harry Connick, Jr., was arrested at Kennedy Airport in New York City after telling authorities he had an unloaded 9mm pistol in his luggage, which he said he had forgotten that his sister had given to him.

Born on this day in history: December 27, 1904 - Marlene Dietrich (1904–92)Born in Berlin, Germany, actress and singer Marlene Dietrich gained international attention in The Blue Angel (1930) and moved to Hollywood with its director, Josef von Sternberg, who starred her in six films that emphasized her persona of enigmatic sexuality. Resisting requests by the Nazis to return to Germany, she became a U.S. citizen in 1939.

Scripture of the Day: "Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits." (Psalm 103:1-2)

Video of the Day: Disappearing Car Door - submitted by Jay





That bites! I encountered this scene as I passed the pond behind my office this morning. Ouch! Click to enlarge.






Recommended Sites:
Nikon Photographer Forum - a free forum for photography enthusiasts
Corning California Message Board - a free message board for Corning
Olive Hut Blog - specials, olive news, recipes, and more

32 Degrees! What a difference 4 degrees makes! While it is still very cold, it seems much warmer than yesterday—particularly since there was no frost on Mr. Nitro this morning. When I saw the frost on him yesterday, I shivered. When I saw "28 degrees" on his temperature display, I shivered more! This morning, it is certainly cold, and I was eager to get to the office and engage the heating system. It does not seem, however, nearly as cold as it seemed yesterday morning at the same time. In actuality, I seriously doubt that one can physically differentiate between 28 and 32 degrees, but psychologically, one can certainly imagine he is colder!

Interestingly, Mr. Nitro has a remote-start feature, which allows me to start him from up to 300 feet away. This would be great on these cold mornings: I could simply start Mr. Nitro from the comfort of our house and enter him once he is warm inside. The problem is I never think to set the heater controls when I park him upon arriving home in the afternoon. Obviously, without having the heater controls set properly, there is no value in starting him remotely. Perhaps a Post-it note, applied to Mr. Nitro's dash, would serve as a reminder for me to do this.