Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Stupid Criminals, Brave New Schools, -and- I Want to Be Alone


Stupid Criminals - man advertises pot on Craigslist, gets busted
Brave New Schools - 700 NYC teachers paid to do nothing
I Want to Be Alone - scientists discover the least inhabited place on Earth

On this day in history: June 24, 1374 - In a sudden outbreak of Dancing Mania (aka "St. John's Dance"), people in the streets of Aix-la-Chapelle experience terrible hallucinations and begin to jump and twitch uncontrollably until they collapse from exhaustion. Many of the sufferers are afflicted with frothing at the mouth, diabolical screaming, and sexual frenzy. The phenomenon lasts well into the month of July. Nowadays, ergot madness is suspected as being the ultimate cause of the disorder.

Born on this day in history: June 24, 1895 - Jack Dempsey (1895 - 1983) Born in Manassa, CO, boxer Jack Dempsey boxed in mining camps and turned pro in 1912. He won the 1919 heavyweight championship, defending the title five times before his loss in 1926. Dempsey moved on to sports promotion and business, opening a famous New York restaurant.

Scripture of the Day: Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. - Psalm 73:23-26

Video of the Day: Motorcycle Stunts - submitted by Darin





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene at a local restaurant this morning! Click to enlarge.





Summer has arrived!
Click image to enlarge.






The new grill!
When I ordered the Weber S-620 grill online from Home Depot, it showed that the unit was in stock. I added a cover and placed my order. This was early in the afternoon yesterday. When I arrived at my home, I was concerned that I had not received an order confirmation or an order number.

I logged onto my account at Home Depot online to check the status of my order, and the system indicated that I had no order in the system!

I called the customer service department on my iPhone and was promptly placed on hold. While I waited, I brought up the product page, and there was a notice that stated the grill was out of stock.

When a live representative answered my call, I explained the situation. She said that she found my order and that it was being processed. She said that if the grill showed availability when I ordered, it was likely that I ordered the ONLY Weber S-620 in stock in the Home Depot system! She said that was how it appeared and that I should receive my order in 5-7 business days. She gave me an order confirmation number.

Now, the waiting begins!