Friday, July 03, 2009

Fighting Back, Weapons of Choice, -and- Sister Christian


Fighting Back - high praise for ex-police chief after killing shotgun-wielding robbery suspect
Weapons of Choice - video: controversial taser shotgun weapon launched
Sister Christian - Vatican quietly conducting sweeping investigation of American nuns

On this day in history: July 3, 1963 - Two former secretaries of the Nation of Islam file paternity suits against the head of their church, the honorable Elijah Muhammad. They claimed the prophet had fathered their four children. The allegations eventually cause Malcolm X to quit the NOI.

Born on this day in history: July 3, 1962 - Tom Cruise (1962-) Born in Syracuse, New York, and raised in New Jersey, Tom Cruise was launched after his small but memorable role in "Risky Business" (1983). Mega stardom followed with "Rain Man" (1988), "A Few Good Men" (1992) and "Mission: Impossible 2" (2000).

Scripture of the Day: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." - 2
Chronicles 7:14

Video of the Day: Largest 4th of July Fireworks Display in America





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






Happy 4th of July!