Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Somebody's Watching You, Never Too Young, -and- Fruitcakery


Somebody's Watching You - police use GPS to track suspects despite murky law
Never Too Young - New York toddler is tiny pool shark
Fruitcakery - Scientologists in France to go on trial for fraud

On this day in history: May 26, 1960 - America's UN Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge charges the Soviets with having bugged the Moscow embassy. He shows off a large wooden carving of the United States seal which had been hollowed out to conceal a sophisticated resonant cavity transmitter. Less than 30 years later a newly-rebuilt Moscow embassy is determined to be "structurally riddled with eavesdropping devices."

Born on this day in history: May 26, 1907 - John Wayne (1907 - 1979) Film actor, born in Winterset, Iowa, USA. After a succession of small parts in low-budget films and serials, he achieved stardom as the Ringo Kid in "Stagecoach" (1939).

Scripture of the Day: "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." — Jeremiah 33:3

Video of the Day: Crazy Cat Attacking Spuds Dog - submitted by Cindy





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene as I passed the lake while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






NEWS UPDATE - 10:01 AM CA Supreme Court upholds gay marriage ban!

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day Weekend has ended. It is time to return to the workday routine and cast off the tendrils of leisure that bound me during that period. This is a difficult task. I so enjoyed three days of doing virtually nothing that I find myself missing doing so greatly! Oh, well, back to the grind go I!

What otherwise might have been a relatively serene drive to my office this morning (a five-block drive when the most direct route is taken) became relatively nightmarish when I remembered that I needed to fuel Mr. Nitro. Initially, I was very pleased when I saw a spot was available at the pumps at Valero (a block from our house). The serenity became a frighteningly gruesome event when I saw the price of fuel: $2.67 per gallon for 87 octane (the vintage Mr. Nitro prefers). Yikes! Mr. Nitro was most thirsty, and it took 17.281 gallons of fuel (at a cost of $48.02) to slake Mr. Nitro's thirst!

Other than shopping and grilling, we did little over the long weekend. Images from our grilling adventures can be viewed on my iPhone photo blog. There is a link in the Links section of this blog that will take you there.